Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A journey into the Unknown

A journey into the Unknown

Well the time has come. After almost 26 years in the Navy, I have retired and I am going to take the plunge into woodworking full time. I have a nice shop at home but it is too close to the wife and kids for me to be productive. I have rented space in town and I am going to be setting up shop.

My new space is 3200 sqft. This space was being set up for a Day care but they ran out of money and never opened the doors. I have a lot of work to do and I plan to journal it here. I have already started tearing down walls and I have got the ok from the code folks to start my electrical. I will posts some pics later today of the exterior and interior and some of the obstacle I am facing with layout. I will be looking for advice (Tod, Paul, and others that know me and those to don't) on seting up equipment for efficiency and shop layout.
    Wish me luck

Greg H

cool! ya` know i`ll chip in my .02 regardless ....wishing you the best of luck greg! believe me i know what you`re undertaking, but at least no more uniforms....tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Steve Clardy Guest
    Sounds like a great adventure

That's quite an undertaking Gregory. I look forward to seeing it all happen.

I assume that, with a shop that BIG, you will be going into some sort of commercial production. What do you plan to produce?
    Cheers, Frank

Great, another guy with a HUGE shop for me to be jealous of........

Can't wait to see the pics!

Cheers!

[I]Congrats,
    Nothing like a new adventure
    [/ I]

Here are a couple of pics of the front of the shop and a JPEG of the shop layout. Problems I face are:

1. over the kitchen area to the wall south of it houses a very large AC/Heating Unit. Way too big for a space this size. I can not tear down these walls because they support the unit

2. The 2 bath rooms east of the kithen are plumbed up but no toilets or sinks. I want to eliminate these but I do need a bathroom.

3. The 3rd bathroom and closet area are just taking up space

4 the L shaped wall near the office. I want to take down the wall running North/south.

Basically I am left with a shop that is somewhat divided up in the middle due to the huge AC blower.

Any suggetions

Greg H

Frank,
    I am looking at doing cabinetry and furnishings. What that means exactly is still being worked out. I know what I want to do but I am still working my business plan to narrow things down to what will be most financially rewarding while maintaining my passion for the craft. So as I narrow things down I will share with the group.

Greg

Hey Stu,

I guess you realize I did not take the orders to Japan like I had planned to do.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Hairston View Post
    Hey Stu,

I guess you realize I did not take the orders to Japan like I had planned to do.

Greg
    Unless you came and left with out telling me

BTW, thanks for your service!

Good luck on the business too!

Cheers!