Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A journey into the Unknown

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt

Cool shop

Hey Greg, I'm drooling over the potential for your shop. First thoughts on how to take advantage of that divided shop is to have one part for the heavy duty milling, shaping, etc. and another part for the quieter side, e.g. hand tool work, maybe a small showroom, office, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Hairston View Post
    1. over the kitchen area to the wall south of it houses a very large AC/Heating Unit. Way too big for a space this size. I can not tear down these walls because they support the unit
    Do you have to keep all four of the kitchen walls? For instance, if you could tear down the front/back walls, and just leave the side walls you would at least open things up, which is what I hear you saying that you want.

Basically I am left with a shop that is somewhat divided up in the middle due to the huge AC blower.
    But it does have a nice swing set outside for when you need a break...
    (or did that part of the daycare not get built? )

greg, you`d be money ahead to install a couple of barjoists to bear the weight of the a/c units. if you installed `em on lally columns it could probably be done well within code for not a lot of money? worth a couple of phone calls to check out.........tod
    associated with several importers and manufacturers.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    greg, you`d be money ahead to install a couple of barjoists to bear the weight of the a/c units. if you installed `em on lally columns it could probably be done well within code for not a lot of money? worth a couple of phone calls to check out.........tod

Yea, what tod said...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

don, barjoists are the steel contraptions made of angleiron and zig-zag barstock you`ll see holding up most commercial flat roofs, lally columns are round pipe with flat pads welded onto the ends to facilitate mounting to concrete footers or barjoists....a 40ft span is actually a fairly short span and given what looks like slab on grade construction i`m bettin` that by placing lally columns against the exterior walls that the weight transfer to the footings would be acceptable? but that`s only a lay-persons perspective and the local building inspector should be consulted ......tod
    associated with several importers and manufacturers.

Tod,
    Worth a shot. I am going to check with the code folks to see what I can do.

Greg

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Thanks Tod,
    I've seen em just never been properly introduced.. Now I know there names.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Greg,

First, welcome to the forum.

Second, welcome to the 'unknown'. I'm in the (hopefully) final stages of the same voyage. The main difference is that I've built my shop from scratch.

Good luck on your adventure, and keep us well informed.

- Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

Greg,

looks like you've got some fun and excitement ahead of you. i agree with tod that if you can get away with some sort of column and joist support that would be the best way to go.

i look forward to watching your journey. thanks for sharin it with us.

good luck
    chris

Steve Clardy Guest
    How big is the kitchen area?

Maybe leave the existing walls, and turn it into your finish room?