Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A journey into the Unknown

Greg, I am learning to dislike those with bigger shops than mine (just kidding) as I have helped Marty out a couple of times and know that it is hard work. On the other hand, it sure is fun when the plan starts to come together. Best of luck on the adventure and I hope that you can enjoy the business side as much as the craftsmanship. I practice woodwroking as a hobby and hope to one day retire from corprate life an dcreat as the mood hits me. Making money on the side would be good too. Please keep us apprised of your progress as we love a good story with a happy ending.

DOH!

Bad news..... The zoning nazis say my building is not zoned for light industiral, only local commercial( retail, storage, etc.) Not sure what to do. Too much time and money invested so far. Owner claims she had no idea.... I belive her. She used to run a print shop and thought it would be fine to have a woodshop there. Need some advice on what I should do... Rent is due next week. Should I cut my losses now or just move in and do it and make an area in the front for a show room. No lease has been signed yet..... I called her and she is waiting for my answer. I gave her 500.00 as a deposit to let me start working on getting the shop together. I will consider this time served. I put about 600.00 in electical work trying to get it up to code. 325.00 on a dumpster that the neighbors kindly filled up for me and about a weeks worth of labor.

Greg

Steve Clardy Guest
    Any other buildings around?
    Maybe a quick run to the zoning commission to make sure?

Ask for a variance? Begging on hands and knees while holding cookies and muffins?
    Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

My diet is working good. I'm down to needing just one chair now.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Owwwwch. that sux . I think that in the long run you be better off cutting your losses. I know a local WW that bought a business that been there for 14 year, now all he gets is hassels from the city. They want him to spend mega $$$ just to continue operating. He is fighting them but he knows that in the long run he won't be able to fight city hall. He figure he has about a year before he need to have plan B in effect.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

greg, spend a day at the city/county offices trying to either get it rezoned or a variance.......after that if you`ve been unproductive cut-n-run.....sorry man! that`s why lotsa shops are in the county, much laxer regs, if any....tod
    associated with several importers and manufacturers.

I think Tod's advise is the most sound. If the owner ran a printing company on the same site she had to have a license. Check into it and if it turns out that she did you may be able to make a case with zoning for a "grandfather" variance. If not, then you have been mislead.

greg,

just wanted to say good luck. i really hope somehow you can find a way out of this and continue on. If not, maybe there is a better space available for you out there that will require less work to get it ready for your shop.

good luck
    chris

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    How big is the kitchen area?

Maybe leave the existing walls, and turn it into your finish room?
    My thought, exactly.
    Cheers, Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Hairston View Post
    Bad news..... The zoning nazis say my building is not zoned for light industiral, only local commercial( retail, storage, etc.) Not sure what to do. Too much time and money invested so far. Owner claims she had no idea.... I belive her. She used to run a print shop and thought it would be fine to have a woodshop there. Need some advice on what I should do... Rent is due next week. Should I cut my losses now or just move in and do it and make an area in the front for a show room. No lease has been signed yet..... I called her and she is waiting for my answer. I gave her 500.00 as a deposit to let me start working on getting the shop together. I will consider this time served. I put about 600.00 in electical work trying to get it up to code. 325.00 on a dumpster that the neighbors kindly filled up for me and about a weeks worth of labor.

Greg
    I would be up front about this and not try to sneak in a shop. Spend a fixed amount of time (say a week) attempting to get a variance, then if you do not have one or a very very strong indication that you will have one, bail out.
    Cheers, Frank