Retail Cabinets

Stuart Ablett

Fast, Good, Cheap..... Pick Two :D

Yep, that is what I told him, a buddy of mine is opening a retail space to sell his high end bicycle wheels that he hand builds, how high end do you ask, well the basic sets start at just under $1000, and he super incredible wheels are around $1500 per set. He also has some unobtanium wheels that are about $5000 a set :eek:

I know, incredible, but then again, he just shakes his head when he sees my $4938 Tablesaw :thumb: It is all relative I guess.

He is opening this space and he needs some cabinets/counters to go along one wall, there will be some display on top of the counters, and storage under the counters for wheel sets. On the wall above the counter there will be wheels displayed, hung on the wall sort of (Yes I'm building that stuff too). I'll cut the two electrical outlets into the backs of the cabinets and then a hole with a beauty ring in counter top as they will need a place for the espresso machine to plug in, and some sort of stereo.

This is a fairly small space (Tokyo don't you know) but it is in the right area, just down the street there are several high end car dealers, Aston Martin, Alpina (BMW), Maserati, and McClaren. Along this wall the cabinets will go.....

IMG_6454_zpse25dbab5.jpg

IMG_6456_zpsae8ad216.jpg

There is a bump in the middle of the wall, but it is not too bad I think.

IMG_6453_zps6d985134.jpg

Here is the right hand corner that the cabinet will go into.

IMG_6458_zps3f291f09.jpg

This is the left end of the wall, the cabinet will stop just short of that small bit that juts out.

IMG_6459_zps34173584.jpg

The baseboard is tall, 10.5cm/4-1/8" and it varies in thickness from a full 15mm/9/16" to 10mm/3/8" The wall is fairly straight, but the baseboard is kind of awful. To avoid that I've decided to make a kick on the base of the cabinet that will be a full 4-1/8" tall, so the cabinet will actually start just above the baseboard, and be flat on the wall. The floor is level, and the corner that the cabinet fits into on the right is actually very close to being square!! The cabinets will go up to the bottom of the black line on the wall.

The fun part of all of this is that they want to have a soft opening on Monday, next week, I got the phone call on Monday night about this. We had talked about it maybe three months ago that this was in the works, but he never got back to me. I know he is VERY busy getting this all arranged, but still, this is going to be a tight one! On Tuesday night I went and saw the space took measurements and discussed what he wanted done. Basically they will be paint grade cabinets with just simple sliding doors on them, painted plywood, and the counter tops will be plastic laminate. They are sharing the space with a high end Golf studio. It has the feel of a very exclusive old boys club, so there can be no crap looking work done here. The cabinets will be painted the same red color as the wall (Not my choice) and the tops will be similar in color to the floor in the room.

Bang bang, got to get it done!

Wednesday morning at about 6:30AM I went out to the DIY place to get the stuff I need, and then went to work this morning, and tonight.

IMG_6461_zps918c97d0.jpg

Dry fit

IMG_6462_zps2c67354a.jpg

I've got two of these now built, total time six hours. It is all dadoed together with staples and glue.

I don't know if that is a good time or not, but I've also got all the parts for the kicks cut too.

Next I'll do the kicks and then the tops, I'll have to fit some sanding and painting in too.

It is going to be a rush to get them done by Monday, but if I can work on Sunday night in the space or early Monday morning it is doable, but man it is a time crunch.

Dunno what the final bill will be, but I did tell him " Fast, Good Cheap, pick two" :D

The reality is that he will get well built custom cabinets, that should look good, at a reasonable price in less than a week, anywhere else in Tokyo would cost him a lot more and take at least a month.

When I'm done this they need a cash register counter built up stairs in the other space, that will be much more involved and they need that like yesterday too.....good to have friends eh?

Cheers!

Are you working out a deal for some high end golf clubs.....:rofl:. I can't see you spending time on a course with everything else you have going on...maybe some wheels for the bike?

Are you working out a deal for some high end golf clubs.....:rofl:. I can't see you spending time on a course with everything else you have going on...maybe some wheels for the bike?

Golf? Not really, played a bit when I was it high school it was fun, but them balls start getting expensive to replace :rolleyes:

Bikes, nope, I know I could work a trade out, but I've already got three bikes. This time around is good old cash! :thumb:

Well looks to me like he came to the right person to make it happen. You could soon have line up at your door if word gets out. I like your taste in payment good hard cash. :thumb:

Stu just as a side note, how do you get your pics so large. Be interested in the process details and how the file size changes at each stage.

Stu just as a side note, how do you get your pics so large. Be interested in the process details and how the file size changes at each stage.

When you are in the editor, you can double click on the pics and set the display size right there.

Well looks to me like he came to the right person to make it happen. You could soon have line up at your door if word gets out. I like your taste in payment good hard cash. :thumb:

I host my pictures on Photobucket, they are not hosted at Family Woodworking, so they display as 800x600 pixel images right inline in the post, I like this method, I do not like having to click on each picture to bring it up so you can see it after looking at a tiny thumbnail, but then again I have serious speed here in Tokyo for my internet connection.....

.... I can imagine that if I was on the long end of a slow connection that thumbnails would be nice, but that is not where I am. I'll also take the time to apologize to anyone who is on a very slow connection, I usually post a lot of pictures :eek:

Cheers!

IMG_6464_zps3cf072db.jpg

The kicks are done!

They have the adjustable feet so I can be sure to get the base level, the wall is plumb, so it if the kicks are level this should...... SHOULD make installation fairly straightforward...... I hope!

On to the tops!

I always "loved" those jobs when they came along. Worked for a design build company that did that all the time.. "we need this walnut library built and installed by next week" ...... "sure.... ill get right on it".....
Lookin good Stu!

IMG_6467_zps6e9b9143.jpg

I got one top done, waiting for the contact cement to dry on the second one.

I got to tell you a story, I woke up this AM with a HORRIBLE headache, I felt like I'd just come off a weekend bender.

Today down in the Dungeon I checked my ventilation and found it was NOT working, the fan was running, but no air was moving. I found that the critter screen on exhaust side of my system was completely clogged! I took the darn screen out, it is about the same size of screen as a screen door, you know to keep out mosquitoes, not what I need here in Tokyo, I'm leaving it off for now and will put some larger gauge screen on it at a later date.

With the screens removed the ventilation now works MUCH better, I hope to NOT have a headache tomorrow!

I need to try the low VOC contact cement again, the last time I tried it, I did not like it very much, did not seem to work as well as the old school stuff, but that was 10+ years ago.

Anyone try the less smelly stuff? How did it work for you?

Cheers!

Yeah, I'd think your screen only needs to be able to keep out Mothras and Godzillas, huh? (And maybe the occasional Ninja, but it's not like a screen could stop a Ninja.)

Last time I tried the low VOC contact cement was about 5 or 6 years ago, and it was horrible and essentially worthless. I had trouble getting it to adhere to surfaces other than itself. (And I was following the manufacturer's directions.)

+1 on the 1/4" stuff. Very handy. I use it on our dryer vent to keep out the rats and rattlers. I take it off a few times a year to clean out the lint, but it's pretty big so it's not much of an issue.

We put a 3' high fence all around the garden with it and it seems to do a good job of keeping the rodents out. Not sure why. You'd think they'd climb it like a ladder, but after we put that up, they stopped attacking the tomaters.

Well I had to put my head down and get this done, many late nights, some 18+ hour days with the combo of the liquor shop and this job.

IMG_6499_zps10d82bfe.jpg

Parts made and painted, these are the French cleats and the wheel holders.

IMG_6500_zps638b3228.jpg

The thin sliding doors painted. I sealed them with shellac first, then I put a total of two coats on each side, sanded in between, they did NOT taco on me and worked out just fine!

IMG_6501_zpsdb2af3ad.jpg

IMG_6502_zps419317bb.jpg

Here we go ready to start the install!

IMG_6503_zps040c4c01.jpg

French cleats installed and hangers hung

IMG_6505_zps829693e7.jpg

Closeup

IMG_6506_zps759eae8e.jpg

Kicks in place

IMG_6507_zpsf747e5e0.jpg

Leveled in both directions, the adjustable feet really worked well!

IMG_6509_zps1d480b51.jpg

Cabs in place, the tops are just set there, they need some adjustment.

IMG_6516_zpsbd1898e3.jpg

That bump really was a pain, it caused some troubles!

IMG_6517_zpsf1e0205e.jpg

had a small gap at one end....

IMG_6518_zpsecb74ea3.jpg

and a huge gap at the other end.

IMG_6519_zpsaac53f92.jpg

I dug a hole in the drywall to reduce the gap a bit.

IMG_6511_zps205ed349.jpg

Basically that is it, I still need to drill some holes in the top for running wires, there are two plugs that are now inside the cabs, I need to put handles on the sliding door, and I'll stain some 1/4 round and install it along the wall, as there is still a gap about 1/4" on one end.

IMG_6522_zps447a13f3.jpg

Here is the opposite wall, to display the other wheel sets, they have 8 basic models.

coffee_wheels_zps0fa6d357.jpg

the area set up, now we just need an espresso maker!

Really glad to have this done, so is my buddy, now on to other stuff!

Cheers!