Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Here we go again--I have to appoligize again for not being here again.

Central Illinois

Here we go again--I have to appoligize again for not being here again.

This time since before July 10, 2013. On that date I was supposed to go in for routine removal of the Cancerous Right Kidney. A two hour proceedure.

It went anything but normal. After 10 minutes with the robot, they backed out and cut me open from right below my rib cage down to below my belly button.

I remained that way for three days (Open that is ) so that they could continue to try and stop the bleeding. It took 26 units of blood, 8 of platlets, and 10 of plasma.

Somewhere in that time I took a little time off from this world. Obviously this was tough on Barb my wife and Eric, my son. I knew nothing of what was going on. They had me so deeply sedated that it took a loooooooooong time for me to come around. I'm a little sketchy, since the doctors felt it better if I didn't know much.

I was in ICU for about a week, movet to I think a regular room, but still had a feeding tube, moved to another facility after Medicare required it. In Peoria, in's called Kindred. Nice place. After some time they started me on ot and pt. When time ran out again, I went back to the main hospital for accute pt and ot 6 days later they said that I was ok to come home. NOT!!!!!!

That night, as I was getting out of bed, I lost my balance and fell into the dresser. Made a lot of noise, woke Barb and scared her. That morning, I was getting ready to brush me teeth and got light headed, tried to set down on the toilet seat but slide off and down between it and the tub. I'm wider than the opening. It took 15 minutes for Barb and I to get me loose and on my feet. One more light headed episode and Barb was on the phone where she was told to take me to the ER. They said I was not sick, but not safe at home, so I ended up in a nursing home. That was some 6 weeks ago. I have received TOP NOTCH PT and OT. They identified the real reasons for my light headiness Blood Pressure and Vertigo. They also found weaknesses in my hips, knees, and ankles.
    They developed exercises to strenghten those areas and corrected some walking problems I had.

I'm not completely cured, but well on the way. Time for outpatient pt, then I'll be ok.

Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

Delton, Michigan
    holy cow bruce thank goodness that german will to live was there they sure ran you threw the paces glad your on the mend bud
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

new york city burbs
    youre back now bruce, feel better.
    Human Test Dummy

Yorktown, Virginia
    Glad to hear you got off that train before it totally wrecked and are on the mend. Take it easy and do that pt like the doc's say.

RETIRED(!) in Austintown, Ohio
    Wow, Bruce, that's quite a tale! What an ordeal! Glad to hear you're getting better.
    Jim D.

S E Washington State
    Well, how come you feel you need to apologize for not being here. I wouldn't be here either if I went through all that. Glad you are on the mend. Hope you are completely recovered soon.
    "We the People ......"

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
    Glad you made it; no apology needed.

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

ABQ NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Tulk View Post
    Glad you made it; no apology needed.
    My thoughts exactly. Glad to see you're back (and still here). Continue healing and getting stronger.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Wow Bruce what an ordeal. Glad you're on the mend. Welcome back !!!
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Thomasville, GA
    That was quite an ordeal for you, Bruce. Sure glad you're on the mend and back among the Family here. Keep us updated on how you're doing.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.