Persimmon natural edge

I finished this a couple months ago and just now got around to taking pictures. Persimmon, dropped off by a tree trimmer friend. 7-3/4" on the long end, 6-3/4" on the short, and 4-1/2" high. Really nice stuff to turn. Comments and/or criticism is always welcome.014.JPG015.JPG016.JPG

I appreciate all the nice comments. As for keeping the bark on, I probably just got lucky. I've had this persimmon since Sept. of last year and it's my understanding that winter cut wood stands a better chance of holding the bark. I did the thin CA soak, and I'm sure that helped a bunch, but luck surely played a big part. The bark on persimmon is so knarly, like 1 to 1-1/2" thick, I thought it would be interesting to see if I could pull off a natural edge piece. And Vaughn, to answer your question on how it is to turn...I'd say great. I love this stuff. This was still green and cut like butter. Dry would no doubt be a different story. From what I understand, persimmon is the only American ebony, also called White Ebony.

So did you turn it to its final form immediately, or did you leave the walls thick and let it dry for a while before finishing it?

Roger, this was turned once to final form and thickness. Didn't take too long to dry, but I had to hand sand the bottom to sit solid. The foot rounded as I expected it would from drying.