Tell me about your jointer

Thanks for all the input everyone! I've heard several people say the Yorkcraft is worth checking out and I may just do that. For those of you that are using old arn, I am definitely going to look at that option and see if there's aything around here. You'd think that since this was one of the biggest furniture making areas, I could find plenty of deals.

What I am going to do, for the short term any way, is use an older Craftsman that I am being offered for FREE! I posted the same question on the NCWW site and received a lot of the same suggestions that have been offered here, ut one fellow said "come and get it and it' yours". It's only a 5 1/4 but the price is right (for now).

check the classifieds

Hey Ed--

You might be interested in the old Yates-American 8" jointer I have in the classifieds. It's very solid, and was converted to single phase and tuned up by a pro shop before I put it in storage. This is truly an industrial strength machine.

I'm up the road in western VA, so we're not too far apart.

Hi Chuck. I wish you had posted this about 3 weeks ago! I picked up a 6" Ridgid from one of the fellows on NCWoodworker and I can't do anything else right now. I would love to have the 8" and I'm getting to where I want some of the older equipment too! Good lock on selling it! Ironically I am driving up to the Cleveland area next week and will probably be passing pretty near you!

I have the Powermatic 8" Parallelogram Jointer. I installed the Byrd Shelix head and couldn't be happier. :thumb:

DT

also have the 8" grizzly with parallelogram linkage. i like the mobile base with one end lifting up easily. also appreciated the correct adjustment right out of the box. bought it because of good review in FW mag and the price.
which reminds me...brought it home in the back of my pickup and decided to wait for my teenage grandson to do the heavy lifting (300#). in the meantime i broke down the boxes and moved the fence, etc to the workshop. just for grins i stepped into the open box where the main bed was resting and gave one end a lift just to judge the weight. could not even budge it. i'm getting old but i should be able to at least budge half of 300#. when grandson arrived we figured out that the bed was bolted to the plywood base i was standing on. if i had been able to lift it i'd be famous...lifting myself along with half the bed.

also have the 8" grizzly with parallelogram linkage. just for grins i stepped into the open box where the main bed was resting and gave one end a lift just to judge the weight. could not even budge it. i'm getting old but i should be able to at least budge half of 300#. when grandson arrived we figured out that the bed was bolted to the plywood base i was standing on. if i had been able to lift it i'd be famous...lifting myself along with half the bed.

Yep! That's the tricky part of setting that one up. I could not lift the end of mine either so I hooked the engine lift up to it and started lifting and up came the whole base of the box. That gave me a clue to what was going on. Later I read on several post about the same thing so I guess that we were not the only ones that got fooled.

Think about what you are doing and plan to be doing. If long wide face-jointing is in there, skip the 6". I'm saving to upgrade as we speak and so echo Jeff's recommendation to shop for a used 6". There are some out there with very few miles on them from guys like me.

Glenn

P.s. I won't be upgrading till around December.