Drwall and Insulation ?'s

Paper..

I've used both... And I use both. I like paper because it is faster, but sometimes you come across a mess that just can't be fixed with paper...

Sometimes if I come across a joint that has a wide gap (more than 1/4 inch) I will tape the joint with mesh, then go over it again with paper to re-enforce the joint.

I know that here in Maryland they are paying 35.00 - 40.00 per sheet, hung and finished.

Been doing some more, well, some research on tapes, which leads me to another question.

Since paper is so popular, what is your mud of choice? As in hot mud or bucket mud?

My objection to paper has always been that when it fails, the whole joint fails, and the paper comes off, sometimes with the mud below, sometimes not. From what I've read now, the mesh causes a different problem, it flexes more than the mud, causing hairline cracks at the joints. I don't think I've bought bucket mud in 10 years or more, and vaugely recollect that I picked up the tape prejudice from a plasterer I used to know (stuff works great in gypsum plaster, which is of course much harder than mud).

Anyone got further points?