Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chromecast

Chromecast

I've got a quickly approaching living room re-do, probably start next week as I'm picking up new flooring this weekend. One project is to move the tv and equipment from the opposite wall that it is on, so have purchased a few new "accessories". One of those is the Google Chromecast device. This little device touts that for $35 you can stream your Youtube, Netflix, and other applications from your Android, iOS, and Windows PC devices to your TV in up to 1080p resolution.

I had considered the Roku and Google TV devices, but with those you'd it seemed I need to add additional navigation/keyboard devices to use properly. My wife likes to watch Netflix, but right now she either has to navigate using the xbox or Wii controllers, which aren't very easy, or simply watch on her ipad/laptop...which is her preference. So it looks like she'll still be able to do that, then simply "cast" it to the tv for a larger picture experience.

My understanding is that you use the phone/tablet/pc to "cast" the video url that you are going to watch and the streaming happens directly from the chromecast device to the origin of the video, you're not actually streaming through your phone/tablet/pc, just controlling the chromecast. Though from reviews I've read, some apps (like hulu) actually do stream through the device, just depends on the app that is playing.

http://gigaom.com/2013/08/14/honest-chromecast-review/

So, anyone using one of these already?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Heck I just use a cable from the laptop to the flat screen. I don't know if it's any different than what you are doing but it seems to work. I'm using it right now with a remote Key board & have a 32" pic.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Very interesting Darren. By the way, are you re-doing every room?! I thought I had a lot of house projects, but you put me to shame.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

while not the same widget, I'm hooked on using my iPhone to select youtube videos, which once paired with a 'smart' device, are easy to view on the bigger screen. In my case I have paired my Tivo with my google account, but I'm certain it will work the same way.
    -Ned

Interesting Darren. I haven't used chromecast. It didn't seem too exciting to me despite the cheap price, I'd be interested in a follow up review of chromecast's capabilities.

I have a western digital Live streaming device and I am very happy with it. I have a lot of video files in different formats and WD can play pretty much all formats. I also use XBMC which is setup on Rasberry Pi. It can also be setup on a PC or tablet. It is an open source media center which can do more than most streaming devices. It is mainly used to watch pretty much everything for free though (not suggesting people should use it for that).
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    Very interesting Darren. By the way, are you re-doing every room?! I thought I had a lot of house projects, but you put me to shame.
    Lol, Short answer...yes! 1985 called and wanted its decor back. Actually, we've never wanted the carpet, so have saved up for the new laminates. Never liked the layout of the living room either, so making a big mess all at once and getting it over with. Moving the office downstairs and the guest room upstairs in the process. The kitchen will get a full overhaul in a few years from now, if I can hold Angela back that long.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Got one about 3 weeks ago. Love it. YouTube, Netflix are great on it. If watching something off of a network site, ABC, NBC, etc the audio and video don't match well. Did watch a little Thursday night football off of the NFL.com and it matched up. The pic did stretch out of the sides of the tv, more or less.

Some of the issues could be setting, as I am just using what every it is from factory. I do know you can change them, but don't want to mess with it.

Kids have used the dreaded Apple devices as well and they work just as well.

For $35 I don't think you can go wrong. Really $42 and change with shipping and tax.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    Got one about 3 weeks ago. Love it. YouTube, Netflix are great on it. If watching something off of a network site, ABC, NBC, etc the audio and video don't match well. Did watch a little Thursday night football off of the NFL.com and it matched up. The pic did stretch out of the sides of the tv, more or less.

Some of the issues could be setting, as I am just using what every it is from factory. I do know you can change them, but don't want to mess with it.

Kids have used the dreaded Apple devices as well and they work just as well.

For $35 I don't think you can go wrong. Really $42 and change with shipping and tax.
    Awesome, will have to research some of those settings in the mean time.

I ordered from amazon, so got it tax free, free 2 day shipping (amazon prime, not that it is free, but much cheaper compared with the amount of stuff I order from them...and get it delivered).
    Darren

Big DUH, didn't even think of Amazon. Went straight to Google. For the $, I think you will be happy.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

I ordered one this weekend...I havne't had cable in 5 yrs so I hope to catch up on some shows I haven't seen in years! Plus my daughter watches netflix on our tablet quite a bit so she will enjoy seeing a MUCH bigger screen.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website