Getting the shop tightened up

The loml is rewiring our sons bedroom outlets (she's a handy-gal), and our computer is on the same circuit. So... The frame by frame description will have to wait.

I have always had a very well ventilated shop, due to no soffits. Thus my shop has usually been very cold in winter. I finally cut some osb to fit and closed in between the trusses today. I can't reach a few of them from the inside. Mostly on the loft end of the building, So I'm going to put a few panels up on the exterior.

Ned

Looking warmer already. Mine had 1x4's in place already, but still didnt keep the drafts out, so filled all the gaps and covered the edge joints with expanding foam. It doesnt keep the tin from transferring cold in, so ether insulate it too. Could also drape some plastic sheeting at about 8' to help keep the heat down where you are.

Darren

Allen she says "far too much!". And I don't even get a family discount...

Darren, this is step1, step 2 is to put in a drop ceiling of 2" foam at the 10' mark. I'd do 8', but one of my lumber racks is up at 9'

I did a sun survey last week, and it turns out I've been planning on putting my solar heat on the wrong face of the shop. My mostly unfinished end of the shop is the South face, so I'm going to be ordering about 10 sheets of insulation (the drop ceiling) and about another 6 sheets of polycarbonate 'roofing', those plus some 2x6's will allow me to turn the south face into my solar heater for the shop. Doesn't make sense to do that though until the drop ceiling is in, or I'll just be melting the snow off the roof faster. (it already is pretty good at shedding the snow).

Ned

Last edited:
....I did a sun survey last week....
How did you do your sun survey Ned? Shadow stick or computer modeling? Seems like a good thing to do when designing shop or any outdoor feature like trellis or pergola. I have used the shadow feature in sketchup for this kind of thing in the past and it worked well.