traditional bed #2

Bryan Cowing

For several weekends now, I have been building another 4 poster bed . This one is for my wife, as she really liked the one I made for our daughter. The Head and footboard is higher on this one! I got it to the test fit stage today.:thumb:
IMG_6603.JPG

That's a beautiful looking bed Bryan. When attaching a fairly large chunk of wood to the posts like you did in the foot-board, how do you accommodate wood movement?

That's a beautiful looking bed Bryan. When attaching a fairly large chunk of wood to the posts like you did in the foot-board, how do you accommodate wood movement?

Loose mortise & tenon fit and eight 3/8 -16 x 6 bolts and embedded T-nuts hold the bed together. I drill a 1&3/8" hole and chisel a flat area for the T-nut. Only parts getting glue will be the 3 piece posts, once I have all the finish on them.

IMG_6600.JPG

Last edited:
I now have most of the parts sprayed, except I have to redo the footboard :doh: I laid it on the router table to dry with a scrap board as a spacer, which glued itself into the lacquer on the face side of the footboard :huh:. I sanded it back, stained, and waiting for some spare time to heat up the shop and spray. Headboard turned out nice!:thumb:
IMG_6660.JPGIMG_6661.JPGIMG_6664.JPG

you sure get your moneys worth out of that duplicator and the lathe its hooked to:) if i were to go to the spinny side i would like to have a duplicate of your setup..

you sure get your moneys worth out of that duplicator and the lathe its hooked to:) if i were to go to the spinny side i would like to have a duplicate of your setup..
I like the duplicator, as I can easily make turned parts and get away from only making flat projects. I bought it to produce newels and balusters for our new house 10 yrs ago now. I picked up one baluster and one newel I liked the look of from the lumber yard for to use as a pattern.:D The staircase parts & install was a $2600 kick back from the builder. I spent $500 on oak to produce the turned parts and handrails. Handrails required buying a $100 freud handrail bit for the side profile. My Worksharp 3000 with leather hone makes it easy to keep the HSS V cutter sharp. If money was no object a Hapfo lathe would be fun to play with.:wave:

Lacquer in the warming cabinet? What the heck is the temperature in your shop?
probably 45F this morning in the attached garage. I got the gas furnace on but a gallon of lacquer takes a long time to warm up. I have a small metal cabinet that can hold 2 gallons on a shelf and I have a 75 watt bulb in there for heat. After a couple hours the lacquer is 80F. Cold lacquer doesn't flow very well.:)