This is Not Good

Paul Douglass

Working on my router table top. Need to route the hole for the plate to go in. Took my router off the old table, working fine the day before, assembled it so I could use it to route the plate hole using the template I have and walla, the router will not run. I tried it in two different plug ins. Nothing. This router has been mounted in my router table most the time I have had it. It has not had what I would consider heavy use and like I said I used it with no problem yesterday. I'm going to go blow it out, may have to take the switch out and blow it out. Maybe jiggling it around has got dust in the wrong places, I have no clue. I'm going to have a new router table top and no router to put in it. That's a bummer. The router is a Bosch 1617 EVS model. Anyone got any ideas??

I beat your price there, Vaughn. I ordered it from EReplacementParts.com for $5.17, $.09 cheaper. See, it pays to spend hours searching for the best price.:type: I have dealt with EReplacementParts several time and always been satisfied.

I'm pretty surprised the switch would go out, it rarely gets used. I have switch on the outside of the router table cabinet that get the workout. The one on the router stays in the on position 95% of the time.

Last edited:
Ha, I was surprised I found the part and the price so quickly. I did a Google search for your model of router, and that parts site was around the top of the results list. You should take that $0.09 and go to town and treat yourself to something nice. :D

Like you, I'm not sure why an unused switch dies. I had a similar experience with my Harbor Freight DC. I use a remote, so the switch is always on and very seldom turned off. Still, the switch died and had to be replaced within the first couple of years of use.

Switch arrived today! 10 minutes later my router is purring again. I didn't replace the brushes at this time, The original ones still have plenty of life left in them. All id good. AND I also received my book "Router Joinery Workshop" today. Real excited to peruse it tonight when I go to bed (my reading time). Carol can take a much need vacation to the Bahamas now.

...I'm pretty surprised the switch would go out, it rarely gets used. ....

Most switches have "wiping contacts" so the process of turning them on and off cleans them. In theory a switch that never moves should never fail, but if you believe that, I also have a deal on moving $ Millions from Nigeria.

....I have dealt with EReplacementParts several time and always been satisfied....

Me too on the good experience with eReplacementParts.com

Paul, keep the old switch, it just needs to have the dust knocked out of it.

That switch problem is a known problem with that router, I replace the first one and then when I had the problem again I just rapped the switch on the bench and it cleared up the problem.

At one time you could call Bosch and they would send you a new switch, I am not sure if they still will or not.