Thread: Sawmilling Terms

Sawmilling Terms

I took it upon myself to create a couple of web pages that may help to answer and inform woodworkers about some typical sawmill and logging terms. I know logging and sawmilling is generally not part of the average woodworkers realm, but I thought some of you might like to be informed a bit.

If you get the chance, please check out the four web pages I put together on my website. I think they may be informative and if nothing else, interesting to fellow woodworkers. I worked hard to get as many pictures and illistrations as possible, and to make them big in size so it is clear what I am talking about.

I am in the hopes that in the future, if nothing else you will have a little better understanding of how logs and boards get to the lumber yards we all visit. Here are the links:

Lumber Terminology
    Logging Terminology
    Logging Machines
    Sawmill Terminology
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Travis,

Thanks for the links. I really enjoyed looking and learning. I saw a shingle maker in use on and old "This Old House" I think several years ago. The guy running it was crazy fast. If I recall it had no guards. I remember thinking how I would be called stubby if I ran one of those things!

No problem, I thought people would enjoy reading and seeing some of this stuff.

As for the shinglemill, its a scary set up. The thing is, its not the saw that makes the actual shingles that gets you, its cutting the shingles off square on the secondary operation.

It was kind of funny, when my uncle built his shinglemill, he framed it all up, sheathed the sides, shingled the roof...then ordered a few square of cedar shingles from the local building supplier and put them on. He looked at me about halfway through the shingling of the building and said "I suppose this is ironic isn't it?"

Yes, yes it was!!
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Quote Originally Posted by John Daugherty View Post
    Travis,

Thanks for the links. I really enjoyed looking and learning. I saw a shingle maker in use on and old "This Old House" I think several years ago. The guy running it was crazy fast. If I recall it had no guards. I remember thinking how I would be called stubby if I ran one of those things!
    I used to make shingles. Didn't work fast. My tool didn't have guards either. We called it a froe.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire