It only takes a second...

Roger Tulk

It seems that most work injuries happen because somebody did something stupid, and I have enough scabs that I am not only no exception, but a glowing example of this. This very minor wound occurred yesterday when I decided to switch hands on my ROS without turning it off, or even holding it on the surface I was sanding. I started to lose my grip on the tool, it wobbled and caught me on the knuckle. This whole thing took less than a second. I know I should have turned it off and taken the 15 seconds to do it right, but then, I'm stupid sometimes...

booboo.jpg

i know the feeling roger, i got my reminder from the shop gods to be more careful earlier this year. i was cutting squares for a cutting board that didn't quite work out, when i didn't wait for the miter saw blade to stop before lifting it after a cut. as can happen, one or more of the teeth grabbed both the part i had cut, and the part i was holding, and only successfully launched the part i was cutting in one direction, and my left index finger got in the way of the other. it had a nice slice of skin cut by the edge of the board, and looked quite ugly for a while. no major damage though, but a nice little reminder to be a bit more patient.

I applaud you and all the rest of us who share these mishaps small and large. We all need constant reminders that in an instant, "that could be me". Heal quick.

I always cringe a little when I see thread titles like this one. It was a huge sigh of relief to see the injury was no worse than it was. Like Glenn, I applaud you and everyone else who shares these stories. (I've done the same.)

well roger, even when your reminded you can make dumb moves:( i was framing in a gable wall yesterday am and rather than move ladder to the proper side to nail the bottom,(air nailer) i just held it in position and tried to do it from the wrong side.. well the gun nail ricocheted off the wood and threw my pinky and into the next finger.. all i felt was a little pressure as i brought my hand around i saw it had some metal attached.. so looked it over and pulled it out , let it bleed for awhile and then bandaged it up worked rest of day with no discomfort. but last night nd this am is another story.. it just skipped across the top of the pinky bone and went into the other finger, but i thinki might have a nerve or tendon in those areas that got bruised some.. they will bend now if i force them.. and take medicinal liquids:) but i knew better and was thinking about what if when i did it:( so even old folks make dumb mistakes after being warned!!!!

Larry, hope you heal quick! I had to use a hammer to get a removed my thumb that was nailed to a top plate. Got lucky, it bounced off my knuckle and was only thru the skin. You're right, it doesn't hurt when it happens but later, OH MAN!:doh:

Roger, I was using my ROS last night and was about to switch hands and thought of this thread and then thought better...thanks! :thumb:

Ok Larry that was either pretty dumb or a crafty excuse for some medicinal liquids :rofl:

MY ROS quite often skins my knuckles and I've dropped it in my lap more than once while switching hands. You'd think I'd learn :rolleyes:

When I was a salesman for Hilti I was giving a lesson to a bunch of union carpenters on powder actuated tool safety. They had to pass a test in order to get certified. Part of my lesson was to remind them not to put the tool against any part of your body. While doing the hands on demo part I hear a "bang" and then a load of foul language then laughter. Some guy put the tool loaded with a 2-1/2" nail and cartridge against his steel toe work boot and pulled the trigger. He shot his big toe into the cement floor.:crazy:

Been there done that just ounce, but my son Seth has done it 3 times.:eek: The last time he nailed 3 fingers together, still don't know how he did it, but he was also lucky as it only got skin and muscle. One guy, a few years ago, on the first day working with us, put a 12 penny gun nail through his knee into the bone. We ended up having to place a 2x 4 on his leg, then bend the nail out of the bone. You know like when the nail don't want to come out of a knot, take the hammer and bend it side ways. He also worked all the rest of that day, but didn't make it for 2 weeks after that.:) He did learn to keep his finger off the trigger.:D

Ok Larry that was either pretty dumb or a crafty excuse for some medicinal liquids :rofl:

MY ROS quite often skins my knuckles and I've dropped it in my lap more than once while switching hands. You'd think I'd learn :rolleyes:

When I was a salesman for Hilti I was giving a lesson to a bunch of union carpenters on powder actuated tool safety. They had to pass a test in order to get certified. Part of my lesson was to remind them not to put the tool against any part of your body. While doing the hands on demo part I hear a "bang" and then a load of foul language then laughter. Some guy put the tool loaded with a 2-1/2" nail and cartridge against his steel toe work boot and pulled the trigger. He shot his big toe into the cement floor.:crazy:
Bob now that's just nuts.:huh::doh: Didn't he know them things are made to shout through not just concrete, but steel. We use to nail our 2x's to steel beams with them, back in the day.:D:rofl: And yes I know that ain't what there made for.:rofl:

youch on the knee job and the three fingers,, this was my second experience the first was i stapled my thumb to a roof as a guy shocked me with some news of his girl friend,, which he later told me was just a hoax after he helped me get my thumb free!!! that was in the early eighties.. so thirty years between aint bad:)