32 x 44 x 11

Steve Ash

As most of you know I am a building contractor. I just recently completed this 32 x 44 x 11 stick built garage for a customer. The garage sits on a floating slab and 2 courses of block for the wall, a center drain exiting to the outside of the foundation is provided.. There is some sort of a ordinance about height for this area so the maximum height I could build was 11". We used 9' pre cut studs for framing the garage to remain within that height. Walls were then sheeted using 7/16 o.s.b.

I was then able to set the trusses with the help of a crane. If a building is more than 24' wide I always get a crane to set the trusses, for me it is just a much faster way. We can set and brace all the trusses on a building of this size in less than a hour with the help of a crane and it is much safer.

The roof was sheeted with 5/8 tongue and groove o.s.b. with 1 foot overhangs all around the perimeter of the roofline. Next 15# felt is tacked down and then shingled using architectural "shake" style shingles.

All the windows and entrance doors are set prior to siding and soffits/facia. For the soffits I used aluminum vented and aluminum 6" facia. Double 4 Vinyl siding completes the exterior. I do not personally install overhead doors ever since I had a accident with a torsion spring overhead install that just about tore off my left thumb. I now hire a garage door installer to do that part of my builds.

(* As a side note,for some reason anytime I use pictures that show vinyl siding and roofing they seem distorted. On my webpage it is the same for those pictures, so I apologize for the distortion.*)

Attachments

• fndtn.jpg
    fndtn.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 65
  • walls.jpg
    walls.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 58
  • frnt.jpg
    frnt.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 77
  • truss side.jpg
    truss side.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 59
  • roofshtd.jpg
    roofshtd.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 52
  • shngld.jpg
    shngld.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 56
  • frntdone.jpg
    frntdone.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 76
  • done.jpg
    done.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 81
VERY nice Steve, is this the one that you went away to build?

That garage is bigger than my Dungeon, my house and my L shop combined...... :eek:

Cheers!

When my dad built our garage back in the 70's he also put a course of cinderblocks all around the perimeter. I still think this is a great idea for a garage, since it keeps the wooden walls up and away from the potentially damp/salty floor. Also lets you come in with a hose and clear the place out without worrying so much about the walls. Not to mention giving you taller walls while still getting to use the cheaper basic 8' studs.

...art

cool steve, i like the distortion kinda reminds me of the peter max posters from years gone by.....is the garage to be used as a garage or a shop or????

Nice job Steve. I could have used you and your crew on my shop...especially setting those trusses! Less than an hour with a crane??? :confused: How many trusses? (I'm feeling pretty bad, given how long Denise and I took. But then again, we'd never done it before...:rolleyes: )

- Marty -

To answer some questions, yes Stu, that is the building I just recently went away to build. My brother was able to help me a couple of days on this along with his son in law. I was gone for 18 days to build this....subtract two weekends and 2 rain days....one goof off day and I had 13 working days into it complete.

Tod the building is going to be a garage for his car, boat, tractor and a section of it 16x32 to be used as a shop.

Jim, this one was my design based on what he told me he needed. I not very often get prints for garages or pole barns and most of it is from what the customer tells me he wants.:type:

Marty, I've been watching the progress of your shop (fantastic top notch all the way...I've been reserving comment until the last nail was driven :D ) The average homeowner takes a lot longer than we do. When I first started using a local crane business they gave me a price of $85.00 per hour to set trusses on a 32 x 48 building....we had him out of there in 54 minutes. He told me that from now on he needed to charge me a minimum. No one else at that time set trusses as fast as we did and he wasn't use to it. :huh: Now that was about 10 years ago and I may have slowed down a bit...but he still charges me a minimum charge.

23 trusses spaced at 2 foot centers.

Last edited:
great job steve,

how much of the work do you and your guys actually do? do you form up for the slab and actually pour the concrete and finish it. or do you stick to the wooden part of the build. did you do the shingles as well or are these areas sub-contracted out?

way to go on setting those trusses so fast. that would be fun to watch.

marty, take it easy on yourself. i'm sure others agree with me that getting those trusses set in the time you and denise did was quite a feat.

thanks
chris

Looks good Steve

I'd just love to have another shop similiar in size, to house my tractor, my many fords, and some overflow stuff thats in the way in my present shop.

great job steve,

how much of the work do you and your guys actually do? do you form up for the slab and actually pour the concrete and finish it. or do you stick to the wooden part of the build. did you do the shingles as well or are these areas sub-contracted out?

Thanks Chris, to answer your question I took this from my website..............

Our area of expertise in building your dream house is that we personally do the framing, shingling, siding, soffits and facia, install windows and doors, kitchen and bath cabinets and interior trim.

We are lucky to use some of mid Michigans finest excavators, concrete wall contractors, plumbers, electricians, heating and air conditioning sub contractors to aid us in producing a wonderful product that you will enjoy for many years to come.

...........you can substitute dream house for dream garage in this case. I am able to do concrete and a little block work. No basements, I use poured wall people for that. I usually do small flatwork in this case I did not.

thanks steve,

i thought about going to your website after i posted the question. but thanks for answering. the main reason i asked is because around here most people specialize in one area of the construction, but it's great that you can do more than one. again, great job on the building.

chris