Thread: Mechanical tool draws

Mechanical tool draws

Well I had a great start to my past weekend, went to the depot I dunno thur fri last week to pick up a piece of pressure treated wood and what do you know when I went to cut it in half a guy in front of me in the line was having ply cut.

I had never seen the stuff before. So I asked where he got it and low and behold HD got a shipment in of ply from Chile. So I am told. Never heard of Chile making ply.

Anyhow the big rave was the price of the stuff. I went over and checked while I waited and sure enough it was a deal for us Canadians. So I left with 6 sheets 3 half inch and 3 of 3/4.

Over the weekend I got it all cut up in anticipation of making some shop cabinets but this time for mechanical stuff. My collection of mechanics tools has grown and the scout project tool tote that youngest son made is getting very tiring as a wrench storage tool.

So no pics its just cut ply at this stage. Also got some cut for the ultimate woodworking tool chest but I will make a different thread for that projects progress.

Of course I had hoped to get these projects done before snow flys around these parts but Monday saw the temp drop an got worse since then with flurries in the sky today.

I hope it warms up some before we prevented from working outside for the rest of the year.

I did find a great video of a mobile cart a guy made to trick out his tool cart for working on his car. Very tempted to follow his lead I think it looks cool and rolls well.

Check this out

What you think Alan B ? an upgrade?
    cheers

Other than the price, what was so special about the plywood Rob ?
    Faith, Hope & Charity

That guy is fanatical about his tools, space, projects, etc. I am envious! Beautiful toolbox also (did you notice the rigid order in each drawer?).
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Need to check with our borg from time to time, they seem to get a special pallet of ply once it a while. Picked up some 3/4" maple a while back for $40 a sheet, wish I had bought more of it. I've had hit/miss though with their ply, some of it had to be used for small projects as it warped pretty badly.

Not a bad use of those 10" wheels, may have to do at least one cart like that myself.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Re: Mechanical tool draws

Well Bob nothing specifically special about the ply except that it was way cheaper than the normal stuff and sanded both sides. Also more cores than normal almost BB style. Its not the best grade but for shop projects its absolutely perfect.

Yeah i thought those wheels were more cool than practical but mechanical tools add up in weight quickly so moving them around will require decent size weight rating castors and then if u consider obstacles outside of the shop those rubber wheels aint a bad idea.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    cheers

I could really use an off road cart like that. Very cool.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Definitely a little larger than my mechanics tool chest! I sure could use those casters on mine though.

It isn't as large as the guys in the video but it sure is heavy with the tools in it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010 (2).jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	79013Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	79012Click image for larger version. 

Name:	013.JPG 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	79016

Of course it has your favorite type of drawer slides.

Name:	001 (2).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	79014

A picture just after it was finished with some of the tools in it. It has a lot more in there now.

Name:	011.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	79015

And one of the bare carcass during construction. All scrap solid wood except for the 1/4" plywood drawer bottoms.

Name:	008.jpg 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	79017

This cabinet holds the mechanics tools I use 99% of the time. I have one other mechanics tool chest that holds all my specialized mechanics tools.

Re: Mechanical tool draws

Dang u playing with me. Torturing me with your great ideas Alan. You should teach class.
    But i really like the handles on those others you made. :thumbup:

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post

I hope it warms up some before we prevented from working outside for the rest of the year.

Check this out

What you think Alan B ? an upgrade?
    Um what is this being to cold to work outside? I still got to eat in the winter ya know.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.