Sticky Mess!

Alright, I need some help.

Some years ago I got a great deal on a 12" disk sander. It is a very handy tool to have. I use it for everything.
Here's my problem, I decided today was the day to change disks. Now I'm feeling guilty for using that kind of language on Good Friday. Since I'm going to hell anyway, and now I have no finger prints after sanding them off in the process, I might as well rob a bank today too.
I did get the old one off but am left with a fair amount of adhesive behind.

Someone must have a trick for removing the old disks, and adhesive. Any tips would be appreciated!!

Alright, I need some help.

Some years ago I got a great deal on a 12" disk sander. It is a very handy tool to have. I use it for everything.
Here's my problem, I decided today was the day to change disks. Now I'm feeling guilty for using that kind of language on Good Friday. Since I'm going to hell anyway, and now I have no finger prints after sanding them off in the process, I might as well rob a bank today too.
I did get the old one off but am left with a fair amount of adhesive behind.

Someone must have a trick for removing the old disks, and adhesive. Any tips would be appreciated!!

Lighter fluid works great for removing old adhesive - that's how I get those ugly pricetags off of things. It may take a lot, but it will eventually work.

Nancy

Steve,

I've used heat to remove old disks. A blow dryer on high works, as long as LOYL doesn't catch you. :rolleyes:

And then I've used thinners and a scraper to remove the residue.

Good luck...
- Marty -

steve, first remove the backing from your new disc and fold it in half...the backing;) ......pry-n-pull the old disc half way off......all you should be able to with the table in place......stick the folded backing paper to the unstuck side of the disc and turn that side down.....repeat the pry-n-pull scenero `till the old disc is off......i use lacquer thinner to remove the goo from the wheel never tried another solvent but i`m sure many would work......then stick your new disc in place after the solvent has flashed off and smack it in several places to activate the psa adhesive before turning on the machine......tod

I recently came into a 9" + 6"x48" version of these sanders which was quite old and had a lot of gum/dirt etc stuck to the disc. After I had pulled off everything I could manage with fingers and pliers, I started it up and used a HSS steel cutting bit from my metal lathe to clean of the last of the mess. I held the bit in a vise grip and made sure that I didn't remove any metal. It worked quite well and I'll bet an old screwdriver or chisel could be sharpened to do the same job.

cheers

Isoflurane or sevoflurane work well and evaporate very rapidly. Of course you probably don't have access to either of those. Your shop's not well enough ventilated either. Might make you doze off. :rofl:

I expect you could soak the disk in a covered container of mineral spirits and loosen the goo enough to scrape it off with a plastic putty knife.

I'm with Nancy... Lighter fluid is the solvent of choice for sticky glues. If it doesn't release immediately, it may need more time to soak into the glue rather than more volume.

But if you don't smoke any more, the secret is that lighter fluid is chemically naptha, available in the paint thinner section of stores we frequent (a handy solvent in the shop, and much cheaper in the paint department than in the lighter fluid department), and the prime ingredient in many charcoal lighters. And if you are a performer who spits fire, you probably use mouths full of Naptha...the flame is fairly cool (as flames go), and it evaporates quickly, and doesn't stink as bad as many fuels.

... And if you are a performer who spits fire, you probably use mouths full of Naptha...the flame is fairly cool (as flames go), and it evaporates quickly, and doesn't stink as bad as many fuels.
Is there a secret past of yours that we don't know about? :peek: :rofl:

Actually, thanks for jogging my memory about naptha. I've been trying to figure out what solvent to use to get rid of a grease spot on the carpet, and was trying to remember what the old home "dry cleaning" chemical was.

Actually, thanks for jogging my memory about naptha. I've been trying to figure out what solvent to use to get rid of a grease spot on the carpet, and was trying to remember what the old home "dry cleaning" chemical was.

Vaughn,

We used to be able to get carbon tetrachloride for cleaning up carpet spots---I don't think it's available any more.

But...for your grease spot - spray it heavily with 409 and let it sit for a few minutes, clean up with paper towels, redo as necessary. When the grease is gone, if there is still a spot remaining, spritz it with some Shout.

Dawn dishwashing liquid is also good for removing grease - just put some full-strength on a cloth and rub it in.

Nancy

I think Nancy is right about Carbon Tetrachloride being banned as too toxic, but I have bought "dry cleaning fluid" in a small can from the cleaning section of the grocery store... similar to CCl4 but less toxic.

I have the engineering background that leads to collecting trivia, which is why I knew about blowing flames (but haven't tried it personally).

Thanks all for your help. I haven't been able to get back into the shop since I sent the request for help but hope to tonite.

If I have this right, I'm supposed to spit fire at it then dab it with a paper towel. Well, that's why I checked here for advice. I'm sure I never would have come up with that on my own.

I'll send an update from the burn-ward at the emergency room to let you know how it went.

Thanks Agin!

Thanks all for your help. I haven't been able to get back into the shop since I sent the request for help but hope to tonite.

If I have this right, I'm supposed to spit fire at it then dab it with a paper towel. Well, that's why I checked here for advice. I'm sure I never would have come up with that on my own.

I'll send an update from the burn-ward at the emergency room to let you know how it went.

Thanks Agin!

:eek: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Good one!!

In the past when it became time to remove discs from our 16" sander... We would select a chunk of scrap and force a good deal and create heat from friction, whilst the disc was hot. scrape the sheet off the metal plate. Mineral Spirits worked to releave the adhesive.