Refurb of a little ole hand drill

Rob Keeble

Some time back i was given this little hand drill by a friend, it came from a friend of his whose father passed.

Wish i had taken some before pics, but you know how it goes.

So i took it to pieces and put the metal parts into some Evaporust in my peanut butter jar and let it sit overnight.
When i say took it to pieces i mean dismantled the entire chuck and drive mechanism. It was seized up and rusted.

Handrill saved by Evaporust.jpg

Here you can see how the chuck came out now, with all the rust removed both from its threaded bolt at the rear and all the chuck segments internally its smooth as a babys backside again.
Handrill chuck looks new.jpg

Has a nice little compartment in the handle to hold bits. Should be a nice addition to my hand tool horde.
Handrill handle compartment.jpg
Had one of these drills many many years ago and i let it go because the chuck was defective and the springs inside were pooched so it never clamped a bit properly. This one now works great.

Cleaned up nice that's for sure. Looks like the threads on the handle storage are in pretty good shape, that seems to be one of the first bits to get mucked up on the older ones I've seen.

I think I actually have one of that same drill, cleans up nice. :thumb: I actually had it in a box I used to keep in the tornado shelter at our old house along with some other tools I thought might come in handy if we were to experience a bad event.

I want to say that it has some of the original bits in the handle, they weren't twist bits, they look more like the shaft of a really small gouge.

Well this weekend i got to see a yankee version of this drill and now i remember why i never liked this hand drill version when i used to use my dads.
The driving wheel is only driving one gear and what happens when the drill wears is it dont turn too well. Now the yankee version has a gear on each side of the primary turning gear . That balances the load on that center in the main gear.
Anyhow this is a new drill has not been worn in and being a fraction wiser than i was when dabbling in Dads shop at 15 , i doubt i will have any of the same issues using it. :)
Nothing beats Yankee ingenuity. ;)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2