Hand held brace

Rob Keeble

How often do you use a brace. Why not battery operated hand drill with a forstner bit instead.

Trying to decide if a brace still fits into a modern hand tool set.
Used to use a brace when I used to workwith my dad back in the day.
But where would you use them these days except in large timber framing.?

Can anyone enlighten me please.

I use a brace and bit for holes over 3/8". I use a brace and bit because that's what I have available, no other reason, I just haven't purchased Forstner bits.

I have something around 4ish collected over the years.

A small egg beater style that I use for "precise" drilling, I can correct it faster than it drills in, so it "precise" in that regard. Useful for odd shaped or stationary things that I need a good hole drilled in that can't go to the drill press. Until I got a set of gimlets this was primarily what I used for starting screw holes (but I like the gimlets better for that).

A medium breast drill .. ummm well I got it for a really good price in nice shape :D I have used it for drilling some larger holes out in the back.. but arguably less useful nowdays with cordless drills..

A couple of braces - useful for green wood especially (I think they clear better than most forstners which in my experience heat/gum up in those cases) and deeper holes. Mostly for more "rustic" work.

I'd like to get some larger auger drills for gates and what not but haven't found them for a price I like yet.

I have an old brace and some auger bits that were my granddad's, but haven't had a need to use them. I've either used Forstners in a drill press or spade bits in a hand drill. I would suggest extreme caution (or complete avoidance) when using Forstner bits in a hand drill. I've done it with smaller ones, but I think the general consensus is that you should not use Forstner bits in anything but a drill press.

When I drilled the dog holes in my workbench the best way to do it was with a sharp auger bit and a brace, trying to hang onto a large drill motor with a 3/4" brad point style bit and drill through 4 inches of doug fir was NOT a good idea, with the brace it went super easy.

I have two left by my father. I use one of them maybe once or twice a year. Really sometimes faster than grabbing a corded drill. And definitely better than trying to use a forstner with a hand held drill. I won't do that, dangerous. I have a couple augers that are welded to long extensions I used to use those for hanging gates on posts and trees. Can be useful, don't trash if you have them.

I have my Dad's, I use to use them a lot outside where I didn't have power and needed to put a bolt through a fence post or something. Sometimes I use them inside, because the auger bit may be just the correct size or length I need.

I occasionally use a brace when making a Murphy bed. The latches require a cleaner more precise hole than provided by a spade bit. The hole goes through multiple layers of plywood and hardwood, so was overloading the battery operated drill with a Forstner bit (yes, I know that is not recommended). Sometimes I finish the hole with a Forstner bit once the lead screw gives out on the brace, since I cannot readily drill back from the inside.

I use a bit brace regularly. Used well, and with a square and or t-bevel as guides, one can drill angled holes quite accurately.
Here's a set of bits I found at an estate sale, and yes the ones with the coating are unused, so far.

Attachments

• box o bits.jpg
    box o bits.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 40
I've used my grandpa's a couple of times when my battery died on the drill and I had to finish something quick. Worked great, luckily he sharpened them the last time he used them. :)

I bought a set of bits and a brace a couple months back. I bought them because my plan is to theoretically be able do everything I need/want to do to wood without electricity.

Maybe a tall order, I know, and more of a philosophical thing than practical, but I ain't got no deadlines for woodworking, you know?

I bought a set of bits and a brace a couple months back. I bought them because my plan is to theoretically be able do everything I need/want to do to wood without electricity. Maybe a tall order, I know, and more of a philosophical thing than practical, but I ain't got no deadlines for woodworking, you know?

A man after my own heart!! I did make a concession to electric lights. I thought about no electricity at all, but decided that was silly.

A man after my own heart!! I did make a concession to electric lights. I thought about no electricity at all, but decided that was silly.

Crap, I didn't even think about electric lights.... yeah I'm gonna let that one slide too I think. It would be a bit too warm in my basement if I had to see by firelight lol!

Last edited: