Surprise in the Mailbox

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I've been expecting a few packages in the mail lately, so I've been checking the mailbox every day. (Two of the packages would fit in my mailbox, but not the third. But even then, I've been expecting the note from the Post Office to go pick up the larger package.) All last week, it was empty each time I checked. I once again checked it Saturday early afternoon, and it was still empty.

Tonight (Sunday) on a wild hair I decided to check it again to see if by chance the mail came late Saturday afternoon. Eureka! In my mailbox, I found the key to the oversized package drop box. Cool! Inside I found a small package...the new HID headlight bulbs I ordered for my car. (One burnt out last week.) I also found a larger package...the new pickguard and rail style humbuckers for my white Stratocaster. (Now I can go either single or double coil for all three pickups.) Woot!

But very much to my surprise, I found an even larger package...one I didn't figure would fit in the mailbox:

Box%20From%20Dave%201%20-%20800.jpg

Hmm...wonder what that could be. Here's a hint...

Box%20From%20Dave%202%20-%20800.jpg

OK, these are just quick cell phone shots. The good pics with my real camera will have to wait a few days until I can get the guitar reassembled. For this shot, I used no flash (just the track lights in my living room) to show off the sparkle...

Box%20From%20Dave%203%20-%20800.jpg

And for this shot, the flash was used, so this is a bit better representation of the color...

Box%20From%20Dave%204%20-%20800.jpg

This guitar has a true automobile-quality paint job. Smooth as a grand piano. And since Dave was wanting to see my reaction when I saw the paint job he did on my guitar, I figure I should throw this pic in too. Might want to avoid showing it to any women or children...I wouldn't want them to get unnecessarily frightened...

Box%20From%20Dave%205%20-%20400.jpg

Dave, in case you're still wondering, I'm very pleased with the paint job. :thumb: :clap: :thumb: :clap: :thumb: :clap: :thumb:

I'll post better pics of the guitar once it's all assembled back together. I'm tied up for the next couple of days, but I hope to have it back together in time for a gig we're playing Friday night. (Not gonna rush things, though...I want to do it right.) ;)

This is like a suspense drama, been waiting on this thread, so looking forward to seeing it assembled and your quality of pics when you get to shoot it.
Btw is that the best you can do for a scary image. :rofl: Guy I see in that pic looks as happy as can be. I am just happy it got there in one piece. :thumb:
Something like this is priceless to me. Not sure too many have paused to think that you to my recollection have not yet met Dave, so to meet on our forum have a person on one side of the country give a guitar body a make over for a person on the other coast, well just ponder that for a moment. I can only think of one thing ......priceless and amazing.:thumb: Kudos to you and Dave.

Now I am HAPPY ! I did a redo ....just once ! Larry I can always count on "THE BEARDED WONDER" Thanks !
Rob I have often marveled at the the connection I've made over the past 15 years just because of the Al Gore Internet HEHEHEHEHE !

Vaughn my son said it's the 1st pic that will represent the guitar the best in a club.

Last edited:
Wowza! Looks terrific. Great job, Dave. You lucky dog, Vaughn. You have great friends. And for the rest of you, I get to see it live and in person and being played by the blond guy himself in just a few weeks. WooHoo!

I am glad to see this to fruition. This is a family site, like family we have our squabbles and then reunite for the better of the whole. Dave, I expected no less, seeing you work your magic there at Larry's, Rob and I just looked at each other when you were color matching and whalllla, the scratch disappeared before our eyes. I will never forget that moment. Only someone with an OCD towards perfection can accomplish that. I just appreciate your skill/craftsmanship. Good job on the trust factor Vaughn. Did you just stroke it and let your fingers be your eyes? I am sure it is table top/glass smooth. Can't wait to see it together and as Roger said, a sound bite from it.

...Vaughn my son said it's the 1st pic that will represent the guitar the best in a club.

I think he's right, although these days we don't use tons of lights like we did back in the olden days. Back in the '80s, we traveled with 20,000 to 40,000 watts of lighting gear, made up mostly of 1000 watt PAR cans. It was very bright, but also very hot on stage. I'd change shirts every set because I'd soak them with sweat. These days, we use a couple of multi-color LED lights. Much easier to transport and set up, and much cooler to work under, but not nearly as bright. We also used to run our own 100 amp 240v sub panel for stage power - one leg for audio and the other for lights. Now, we can power the whole band off a duplex 120v outlet. :rofl:

It used to take us 4 to 6 hours to set up our gear for a gig, although we usually played at the same club for 6 nights in a row. Now we only play one-nighters, but we can be set up in about 45 minutes...30 if we push it. We're to old for all that heavy lifting anymore. :D

Whenever I make something special I tell my wife 'it's the only one like it in the whole world'. I think you now have one of those kind of things Vaughn. That's sure some purty twinkle! I'da been hard pressed not to paint a small raccoon or a lynx on the back though Dave. Just to show you'd been there:thumb: