Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Apple canning day!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Reno, Nv
    Posts
    3,632

    Apple canning day!


    Thanks to Brents massive knowledge and willingness to share, Stacey went on a buying spree last few days...guess I rolled the ball. Have to wait a week for the pressure cooking doo dad.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Delton, Michigan
    Posts
    17,472
    well jim, it kinda amusing to me to see folks like you just getting into the canning of food world,, i have been around it since childhood does make for some fine eating in the winter time when the stuff is long gone.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Gorge Area, Oregon
    Posts
    4,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Have to wait a week for the pressure cooking doo dad.
    Apples are high acidity foods and should be fine to boiling water bath which is what it looks like you're doing here

    BTW: I hope you didn't throw out the cores and peals!! ?!?! Those make fantastic apple butter (just run them through a chinois part way through cooking to press the flesh off of the actual peal /seeds).

    My favorite canned apples that I haven't had in a long time (20+ years?) was the larger (say 1 to 1.5" diameter) crabs we'd can whole in simple syrup with some cloves stuck in them. You could pick one by the stem and just stick the whole thing in your mouth and pull out the core. Man those were tasty!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Delton, Michigan
    Posts
    17,472
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Apples are high acidity foods and should be fine to boiling water bath which is what it looks like you're doing here

    BTW: I hope you didn't throw out the cores and peals!! ?!?! Those make fantastic apple butter (just run them through a chinois part way through cooking to press the flesh off of the actual peal /seeds).

    My favorite canned apples that I haven't had in a long time (20+ years?) was the larger (say 1 to 1.5" diameter) crabs we'd can whole in simple syrup with some cloves stuck in them. You could pick one by the stem and just stick the whole thing in your mouth and pull out the core. Man those were tasty!
    you got a recipe for those crab apples ryan?? sounds kinda like spiced apples in the store
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North West Indiana
    Posts
    6,098
    Lou, my mom and Tess just finished up about 60 quarts of applesauce. We have one of the food mills that you put the appleslices into and it spits the apple out one direction and the peels and seeds out another. Goats and pigs love canning time! We didn't get any beans canned this year but we always hot bath our beans, apple sauce as well as tomato juice and soup. Nothing like it on a cold day eating fresh from the garden.
    Jon

    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

    Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Reno, Nv
    Posts
    3,632
    Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    well jim, it kinda amusing to me to see folks like you just getting into the canning of food world,, i have been around it since childhood does make for some fine eating in the winter time when the stuff is long gone.
    Larry...I was born into this, but if Mrs. Burr does the "Really?" thing...no chance. Before mom hit the loony bin, I learned all that stuff...had a bunch of supplies in the garage that we pulled out to use. Been a while for me, so Brent(Thanks!!) gave me tons of "heads up" chat. A lot of it really did come back...mom canned everything, I mean everything!!! Pickles were the top of the list...3 berry jam right there with it.
    I guess I put the bug in Stacy's ear a few weeks ago...little testy when I said "oh...do it this way". We had a ball and now wifey has the bug!!! Can't wait for summer to show up...fruit, tomatoes...anything and right off the vine. She has the addiction and now are searching yard sales for Mason jars.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Gorge Area, Oregon
    Posts
    4,698
    Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    you got a recipe for those crab apples ryan?? sounds kinda like spiced apples in the store
    Been a long time so I don't really remember the details (mostly just the eating ). i'll give you what I remember though. As I recall them we just used a simple syrup (50/50 sugar/water by volume heated until it dissolved) and then stuck 2-4 cloves into the skin of each apple, packed them into jars and boiling water bath canned them covered in the syrup. I think we poked the apples with a fork to let the syrup in (not positive but seems right). I don't remember the cooking time duration - I think maybe 30 to 45 minutes but its been so long I don't know. I see some people pre-cooking crabs like this - I don't remember if we did or not. I see some folks remove the blossom end, I know we didn't but don't know why or why not. I don't remember there being other spices in the jar but can't see how it would hurt if you wanted to add them Maybe a little cinnamon stick and whole allspice?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reno NV
    Posts
    13,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Apples are high acidity foods and should be fine to boiling water bath which is what it looks like you're doing here
    I've never done apples, but I do make a decent jalapeno jelly!

    I gave jim the whole spiel on the hi/low acid water bath/pressure canning. He's a safety kind of guy, so pretty sure he'll follow the recipes and methods to the letter.

    What I like to can is soups/stews/chili. Love to just open a jar from the pantry, heat and eat. (And that does require a pressure canner).

    Maybe next year I'll hit up an orchard and do some fruits....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Reno, Nv
    Posts
    3,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Apples are high acidity foods and should be fine to boiling water bath which is what it looks like you're doing here

    BTW: I hope you didn't throw out the cores and peals!! ?!?! Those make fantastic apple butter (just run them through a chinois part way through cooking to press the flesh off of the actual peal /seeds).

    My favorite canned apples that I haven't had in a long time (20+ years?) was the larger (say 1 to 1.5" diameter) crabs we'd can whole in simple syrup with some cloves stuck in them. You could pick one by the stem and just stick the whole thing in your mouth and pull out the core. Man those were tasty!
    Got all that covered Ryan. Yosemite Village has one of the oldest crab apple groves in California, we are in the backyard and if you know who to talk to...we are on that one. We never toss out much...compost bin on steroids!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Reno, Nv
    Posts
    3,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Been a long time so I don't really remember the details (mostly just the eating ). i'll give you what I remember though. As I recall them we just used a simple syrup (50/50 sugar/water by volume heated until it dissolved) and then stuck 2-4 cloves into the skin of each apple, packed them into jars and boiling water bath canned them covered in the syrup. I think we poked the apples with a fork to let the syrup in (not positive but seems right). I don't remember the cooking time duration - I think maybe 30 to 45 minutes but its been so long I don't know. I see some people pre-cooking crabs like this - I don't remember if we did or not. I see some folks remove the blossom end, I know we didn't but don't know why or why not. I don't remember there being other spices in the jar but can't see how it would hurt if you wanted to add them Maybe a little cinnamon stick and whole allspice?
    We did a thinner slice...1/2", cloves and cinnamon in the simple sugar...1 quart water...1.5 cups sugar. We use honey because it's so abundant. Can as normal. I really want to toss a knuckle of ginger in there. What about a whole nutmeg Ryan...pint jar?
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Similar Threads

  1. Latest canning effort
    By Jim Burr in forum The Cook Shack
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-04-2013, 09:41 PM
  2. Emu Apple
    By neil mackay in forum General Woodturning Q&A
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-18-2012, 08:50 AM
  3. Apple
    By Rob Keeble in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-26-2012, 10:56 AM
  4. Do you have an Apple/Mac?
    By Bruce Shiverdecker in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-07-2009, 12:24 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •