Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laminate Trim Router.... Which one?

Laminate Trim Router.... Which one?

This last set of cabinets I did, with the prospects for more of the same coming, I'm looking at a trim router. I have lots of large routers, but I think one of these trim routers might be nice to add to the arsenal.

Is there one that stands out?

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

alot folks use the older PC310 stu, but they are hard to come by now.. the bosch colt is a good router and has a kit for laminate work as well if that is what your after. comfortable and the adjust is solid..

link for trim router info
    Last edited by larry merlau; 10-31-2013 at 12:17 PM.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I have a PC trim router that cost about $100 when I bought it about 11 years ago. It works great, but I had to try one of the HF orange units that was $20 a year or so later. The HF worked great, so I bought another as did a couple of other guys in a commercial shop. It is now black, but the structure looks the same.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

If I were shopping for one of those, I'd go for something like one of the new PC/Dewalt 1.25hp units... sort of a laminate trimmer plus... here's a quick link to a typical package: http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.c...unge-combo-kit
    -Ned

One word for me. Bosch Colt variable speed. Best second to my heavy weight Milwaukee 3HP router I own. Wish it had been my first router. Its an amazing little machine and its so comfy to hold. Great cord, great cord length. Really nice adjustment. One wrench tool tightening. And for $74 recond or $115 new , its well worth the money. BUy two.

http://www.cpotools.com/factory-reconditioned-bosch-pr20evsk-rt-colt-variable-speed-palm-router-kit/bshrpr20evsk-rt,default,pd.html?cgid=bosch-reconditioned-routers

http://www.cpotools.com/bosch-pr20ev...tioned-routers
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    One word for me. Bosch Colt variable speed. Best second to my heavy weight Milwaukee 3HP router I own. Wish it had been my first router. Its an amazing little machine and its so comfy to hold. Great cord, great cord length. Really nice adjustment. One wrench tool tightening. And for $74 recond or $115 new , its well worth the money. BUy two.

http://www.cpotools.com/factory-reconditioned-bosch-pr20evsk-rt-colt-variable-speed-palm-router-kit/bshrpr20evsk-rt,default,pd.html?cgid=bosch-reconditioned-routers

http://www.cpotools.com/bosch-pr20ev...tioned-routers
    +1. I would recommend the Bosch Colt, but I would also go for the plunge option...CLICK HERE. Trend, Porter Cable, and DeWalt also have plunge options.

Another vote for the Bosch Colt PR20EVS - I bought mine as the installer kit "just in case."

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PR20EVSN...productDetails

I don't know if I have actually used the funny adapters that are part of the kit in production, although I have played with them. The basic idea is to be able to trim closer to the edge and corner of an installation (and I haven't done a Formica project in many years).

The basic Colt router is a joy to use for more than just trimming - light and powerful. Only has a 1/4 inch collet so I cannot use many of the router bits in my collection.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Plesums View Post
    Another vote for the Bosch Colt PR20EVS - I bought mine as the installer kit "just in case."

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PR20EVSN...productDetails

I don't know if I have actually used the funny adapters that are part of the kit in production, although I have played with them. The basic idea is to be able to trim closer to the edge and corner of an installation (and I haven't done a Formica project in many years).

The basic Colt router is a joy to use for more than just trimming - light and powerful. Only has a 1/4 inch collet so I cannot use many of the router bits in my collection.
    Thanks guys!

yeah the Bosch looks good, about $250 shipped with import duty to my door.....
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu just what sort of duty are you paying as a percentage of the price. Note often the courier companies or any other for that matter charge handling fees for bond and storage etc during importation. I am just curious to know what the duty element is on the items you import in percentage terms. I get ill just seeing what you paying for things. I have read all the motivations but man it sure puts Japan in a questionable position to compete. The odd thing many do not know is that many of the Japanese companies sell their products at a higher price in Japan to what the foreign market gets it at. But with WTO I am wondering if Japan can still get away with protectionist tariffs given brands like Makita etc. Not that I would think they have those units made in Japan. My own prior dealings with Japanese companies is that they very nationalistic/protectionist to the point of being darn right silly about it economically.
    cheers

When I had my construction supply business the Bosch outsold all the others 10-1.
    Faith, Hope & Charity