A segmented Zen pen

Here is a zen pen with a segmented blank that I made. It consists of BOW and black acrylic as the inlay material. It is finished with 6 coats of med CA. This is the first Zen pen I made and I need to give this style a test before I commit to carrying it in my line. I am not so far a big fan of the magnetic cap. But maybe it will grow on me. What I do like is the barrel is long and is a good canvas for some fancy segmenting without having a center ring to break up the pattern.

Anyway thanks for looking and any comments or questions are always welcomed.

I have never had a pen with a magnetic cap. What do you dislike about it? To easy or to hard to manipulate? By the way, beautiful pen and also a great canvas for Pete and his laser!

I have never had a pen with a magnetic cap. What do you dislike about it? To easy or to hard to manipulate? By the way, beautiful pen and also a great canvas for Pete and his laser!

Thanks for the kind words. As I mentioned I am not too thrilled with the cap. Yes it is probably easier to take on and off but a couple things come into play here that I see. One is more wear on the plating from metal on metal. Two is when you bump the cap, it moves around and even though it does not fall off it does move. This is true when inserting into a pocket. And three is safety. I am not sure about the safety issue if you have a pacemaker and the part about a magnetic cap in your pocket. I am sure someone has taken this in consideration and probably deemed it to be safe but not sure I want that liability.

But like I said there is a large canvas to show off your work on for sure. I need to do some more investagating and trial before I commit to it. If it had a screw cap then it is a great pen. These are just my opinions and others may differ greatly. Thanks for looking.

That's a very nice looking pen John. I haven't seen that kit before.

Very nice job on the segmentation. It must be tough to glue that up and drill right down through the dead center.:thumb:

I have never had a pen with a magnetic cap. What do you dislike about it? To easy or to hard to manipulate?

I've made several of the Vertex pens from PSI and they have magnetic tops. My one concern about them is if you have it in your pocket and put a credit card or magnetic room key in your pocket, the magnet can scramble the data. I've had a the magnetic strip wiped by magnets on nametags and such. It's embarrassing. I do like the way the magnet tops hang onto each end.
Steve

Very cool, John. :thumb: The linear segmenting works nicely with the faceted cap.

... I've had a the magnetic strip wiped by magnets on nametags and such...

Back in my computer trade show days, everyone had name badges that vendors could scan to get your lead information. Most booths giving away swag required a card scan before they'd give you the goodies. Since I didn't want a bunch of junk mail at work, I'd always start by finding a booth that was giving away refrigerator magnets, and once i had one of those, I'd erase the magstrip on my name badge. I found that after two or three failed attempts at scanning a card, most booth bunnies would give up and simply hand over whatever they were giving away. :)

That's a very nice looking pen John. I haven't seen that kit before.

Very nice job on the segmentation. It must be tough to glue that up and drill right down through the dead center.:thumb:

Thanks Brent for the kind words. To address your concern about drill dead center, it is really not a big issue for me. I drill my blanks on the lathe and since I started out with a round blank it was easy to find center and drill. The segmentation is done on the lathe using a router and router jig. With the use of an indexing wheel it becomes easy to get precisely divided segments. I am pretty sure I had show my router setup before on this site when I made some other segmented pens. Thanks for looking.