Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From out of the blue

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan

From out of the blue

Into the blue.........Long day today.
    My wife's youngest sister passed this morning{Sunday} sometime in her sleep. 51 yrs young. She had a lot of health problems but a wonderful outlook
    on life and was my favorite S.I.L. She had quite the sense of humor and was always ready to dual it out with me in the 'quick jabs' joking routine
    we developed over the years.

I debated on posting this, mainly because the thought of sharing depressing news has always bothered me in a weird sort of way. But, she & I always
    tried to put a cheery spin on life's sour grapes. We were never too shy about how morbid our humor may have come across to others, and it was never
    intended to offend, just our way of dealing with such subjects. We've talked in the past about our own thoughts on death, and one thing she always
    mentioned was that no matter when or how she was called home, we would find a pepsi and her newport cigarettes right beside her...and damn if that
    wasn't the first thing that caught my wife's & my eye as the initial shock let up.

I realize I'm rambling but my wife finally dozed off in the chair and my dogs already know I'm crazy, so as to not give them anymore ammunition with
    my talking to myself, I took to the net for an escape. Anyways I decided to post this not for sympathy or condolences but in hopes it drives home to
    others how fast life can change. We{her family} as well as her herself, knew it was only a matter of time due to her health, but more because of her
    lifestyle and the unhealthy choices she made. That, along with her stubbornness{another trait her & I shared deeply} at heeding her doctors advise, lead
    to the final page in her story.

I'm going to miss the gal dearly, but hopefully she's instilled a little spark in me to make some changes I've known for sometime that I need to make, but
    then again, if I credit her with any changes, she'll most likely be laughing at me at the gates someday going on about how she 'got me' one more time....

Tell your loved ones while there's still time, we weren't given enough time this go-round and that sucks more than death itself.
    If you made it this far, thank you for allowing me a bit of needed therapy...yeah yeah, I know I need way more than a bit, and if she were here right now she would
    vouch for me
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

ABQ NM
    OK, at your request, no condolences or sympathy. Instead, I'll offer a virtual toast to your SIL's memory, and hope that the lessons she left behind will leave a lasting impression on you and the other people whose lives she touched.

I agree with you...things can change in the blink of an eye. We should never pass up a chance to tell a loved one that we love them.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Very sad news Ken. Our thoughts are with your family.
    Sometimes reality smacks you right in the face. Makes me think that now is the time to make some lifestyle changes and kick a few unhealthy habits.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

S E Washington State
    Well, reads like your SIL made an impact on your life so I am sure she impacted other also. Sounds like a person I wish I had met. She is at rest now, no more health problems, no more stress. Thank her for the memories, and give thanks for the time you had with her.

My thoughts are with you and your family.
    "We the People ......"

Thomasville, GA
    It's great that you have such wonderful memories of your sister-in-law to get you through this time and into the future. May she live forever in your thoughts!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Constantine, MI

From out of the blue

As I read through your comments it became obvious to me that her's was a life that made a difference. What more could one ask other than she be allowed more time to make a greater difference?
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Yorktown, Virginia
    Things can change in the blink of an eye. Many of us look at those lifestyle changes we know we should make as too hard to do and to long in the changing, but in the blink of an eye we can decide to make them and begin the journey. The good times will help keep her in your thoughts.

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
    You've lost a wonderful friend; sorry for your loss.

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Reno NV
    I've seen that point (Every day is anything can happen day) played out a bit too much for my liking lately Ken. I totally get what you are saying.

Celebrate the good memories and appreciate what you had!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Independence, Kentucky
    Sorry for your loss, and cling to those memories, they were given to you for a good reason.
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.