Some More Metalworking.... going to brag a bit....

Stuart Ablett

I hope you don't mind if I brag a bit here.... :)

My youngest daughter Mizuki has shown a real talent in metal working, a more artistic talent than I have.

Last year she made my wife and I some rings from an old spoon handle, the spoon was one from an old set that my mother had that I had grown up using to eat my cereal each morning. These rings are very cool and both my wife and I wear them each day. Funny story about the rings from spoon handles, I asked my Mom where she got them, she was not sure, but it was the early 1960's and maybe she bought them at Woodwards, or Woolworths, I then asked my daughter to take a picture of the spoon, and when she looked at it is says on the back of the handle "Stainless Steel Japan" now that is kind of cool isn't it? These spoons where made in Japan in the early 60's, I grew up using them daily, then I move to Japan, get married, have some kids, the kids move to Canada and one of them makes some rings out of the spoons that came from Japan, then the rings get sent to Japan. Kind of neat.

Anyway, that was last year, Mizuki is still taking a Metal Art course at high school, I wanted her to have at least one course that was not math or hard science, she enjoys it, and I think you will see why.....

mizuki_pendant1_zpsd5f8f9ae.jpg

She started with a solid blank of aluminum, and she designed, cut out, filed, sanded and polished the whole thing.

mizuki_pendant4_zps7f6cb161.jpg

mizuki_pendant3_zps65311927.jpg

I think it is great!

mizuki_pendant2_zpscb900484.jpg

Her two favorite things, her cat Leo and her most recent work of art.

Don't mind me if I brag a little bit at having a talented daughter. :D

Cheers!

You'll treasure those rings and that piece of art for the rest of your lives. Congratulations Stu!

Brag all you like you got something well worth bragging about there. Warms the cockles of my heart to hear kids doing something at school with their hands. :woohoo:
As Charlie says its in the genes. That's a neat piece of work she has done, artistic and skilled. We don't all need to be maths or science boffins.
Now you need to buy a plasma cutter and introduce her to the possibilities :D

Yikes!!

Stu,

I was looking at some pretty pictures of metalwork and all of a sudden my screen fills up with wall to wall cat! I'd have fell out my chair had I been in one.

Very talented young lady, impressive work. Hopefully she will pursue some means of artistic expression if not as a career as an after hours pursuit. My brother has some gift in that area too. My whole family is talented starting with my mom. Always has to be one exception to prove the rule, I take after dad in that respect!

Hat's off to your daughter!

Hu