Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reclaimed Hemlock wood beam table question

Reclaimed Hemlock wood beam table question

Hi Guys,

So i am building a hemlock table from a reclaimed barn beam. Below is the image. I was wondering if there is a way to lacquer the wood without yellowing it? I haven't decided on the finish yet but so far i was thinking a darker stain, darker stain after a sanding sealer mixed with alcohol or just lacquer. Table is below

http://s22.postimg.org/6c5a1b7rl/20131107_202302.jpg

I will be wrapping the top of the table with patinad copper (see below)

http://www.veneersupplies.com/produc...per-autumn.jpg

Any advice on how to finish the table would be appreciated. BTW i would like to use Behlen's rock hard table top finish as the lacquer and zinsser's sealcoat as the sanding sealer
    Last edited by Bill Arnold; 11-08-2013 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Modify first link

Also if anyone knows how i can finish it so that it stays pail vs getting yellowed

like this:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood-finishes-hemlock-natural-stain.jpg  

Light woods will yellow due to exposure to UV rays - daylight. It is the nature of wood. A finish that allows the grain to show is not going to prevent the color from changing.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Target coatings urethane is water clear. and if there is a uv issue they also make an exterior grade that can be used as a topcoat.
    Also, if you are staining what I like to use are the transtint dyes and I add a little to the finish. It gives a more even coloring

this is the reclaimed chestnut counter I did last spring. I used Targets conversion varnish with the catalyzer and a combination of transtint mission brown and dark brown walnut. Just a few drops in each coat goes a long way.

This is a yellow pine built in I did and finished with the Target urethane no dyes.

He who laughs last, thinks slowest

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Soby View Post
    Target coatings urethane is water clear. and if there is a uv issue they also make an exterior grade that can be used as a topcoat.
    Also, if you are staining what I like to use are the transtint dyes and I add a little to the finish. It gives a more even coloring

This is a yellow pine built in I did and finished with the Target urethane no dyes.
    LOVE that ceiling!
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

So if i don't want a yellow tone i have to use a water based poly correct? Where can i find this in canada, My home depot sucks

Mike, check to see if your Home Depot has Minwax Polycrylic. It's a water-based poly.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Minwax-Po...9#.Un1hwPnUBTE

It also comes in a spray can.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

www.targetcoatings.com
    they may have a distributor in Canada. Also, send Jeff Weiss and email with any questions. He has always been a great help whenever I have had questions or to run something by him as far as finishes and compatibility issues
    you can also buy direct from them but I don't know what the shipping would be to Canada.

That ceiling is pretty sweet Roger. That wasn't part of my scope of work, nor was the wainscot. What I found interesting in the picture are the two different shades between my cabinets and the rest of the pine in the room. the walls and ceiling were an oil based product that is discontinued yet for reasons unknown the contractor bought the last few cans in existence for his part of the project...
    Granted, his part was up for about 5 months before I installed mine and has had time to darken up a bit whereas mine is fresh. Im going back sometime in the near future to do another project for this client Im interested to see how mine has changed and if it caught up in color or has stayed that fresh yellow.

I got this

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/diam...n-236ml/980309

when i opened it... its milky? Should a cristal clear water based varnish be milky? I will try it on a test piece and see if its what i want.