One Way Talon Chucks ...dont get caught like i did.

Rob Keeble

Ok so One Way make well engineered tools and machines, no doubt about that and I aint complaining about them, and heck they a Canadian company to boot. :thumb:

But man the documentation is typical of what I have become accustomed to from Engineers. They know all about it and can understand the design but they just have a hard time communicating it to others.

So wanted to buy a couple of additional jaws for my chuck, given I hope to try get some woodturning in this winter, and boy its a hard job to work out what you have and what you still can buy that would fit your chuck.

I had long ago thrown away the box that the chuck and the jaws came in so i got my chuck and a steel rule and measured my chuck jaws at min and max to determine exactly which ones i have.
You would think they would stamp a part number on the jaws somewhere. :huh:

Ok so i hook up the first one and open it and i find i have conflict with their numbers. And this has been bugging me for i don't know how long. Its had me where i cannot chuck up a block of wood because it was too big to fit into the chuck. More:huh:

So today i took a time out and called one way and got to speak to someone about this. I was so sure i was correct and that their documentation was incorrect. Nope the guy insisted.
Well i asked him to get hold of a chuck and then measure while i had him on the phone. I wanted him to explain to me what i was doing wrong.

Then while he goes off ...and i prepare my chuck by removing all the jaw pieces, I notice something and have a duh aha moment.

2013-11-07_20-47-52_609.jpg2013-11-07_20-47-58_386.jpgIf you look at the first pic you see two slots on the face of the chuck. One is longer than the other.

2013-11-07_20-47-24_467.jpgNow if you turn over a jaw you see one particular piece of the Jaw that has this little roll pin in it and that pin is meant to ride in the groove, in this particular set of jaws case its supposed to go in the long groove. What this does is allow the scroll saw chuck to open to the point where the roll pin has slid all the way back. But its a safety to prevent one from opening the jaws too wide and potentially having an issue.

2013-11-07_20-48-44_612.jpg Here you can see a very poor picture attempting to show how the roll pin engages with the slot.

Of course as the guy came back to the phone it was like SNAP. He said did you .....and I said its ok I think I have it figured out now, :eek::eek::eek: and we chuckled and I said thanks for your help.

So I posted this just so you can save yourself the embarrassment if you have a Talon One Way Chuck.

But man its taken me all of 5 minutes to do this post and maybe another 5 to photograph the chuck jaws with a cell phone. Do you think these guys could put a few black and whites into their documentation and explain it all in plain visual language for the people like me. :pullhair:

Now I can go and order the jaws that I wanted. :) Hope this helps someone discover their talon chuck is bigger than they thought.:rofl:

Last edited:
My chucks are buried several layers deep in the garage right now, so I can't confirm, but I remember diligently matching jaw numbers (usually stamped 1-4) to corresponding numbers stamped on the chuck body to avoid just this situation (after I did what you did). Is your chuck numbered?

I don't have a Oneway but Nova chucks/jaws are certainly numbered. Something I always remember after I have mounted the jaws, so I have to take them back off and put them on in the correct order.:doh:

Rob,

Before you get too embarrassed and take the blame for your mistake, take a look at page fifteen and sixteen in the manual. I have the pin in the long slot, the jaws still don't open as far as indicated on page fifteen, burned me on my first few tenons.

Another little detail, the insert has to be removed to disassemble the chuck. Read installation instructions and glanced at the rest of the manual when I took the chuck out the box, didn't catch that detail. Froze my insert before putting it in. It is a permanent install now unless a friend's very large hydraulic press he broaches with can separate the two, Not putting it to the test unless I have to. Kinda like the Tulsa winches on my old wreckers, when you put things in a dead bind with that kind of equipment something has to give, not necessarily what you want to!

Hu

...Ok so i hook up the first one and open it and i find i have conflict with their numbers. And this has been bugging me for i don't know how long. Its had me where i cannot chuck up a block of wood because it was too big to fit into the chuck...

...the jaws still don't open as far as indicated on page fifteen, burned me on my first few tenons...

OK, I'm going a bit off topic here, but I'm not seeing the problem of having a block of wood or a tenon too big to fit in the chuck. You have the tools and technology to make them smaller. In either case, simply mount the blank between centers for a minute and turn a bit smaller tenon.

I never take an actual measurement of my tenons or my jaws. I have no idea how big - in inches - my jaws will go. Instead, I use a pair of calipers to copy the distance between the jaws (usually with the jaws closed almost all the way), then transfer that distance to my blank as it's spinning on the lathe. then I turn the tenon, trying to stay within 1/8" or so on either side of my caliper marks. It's by no means an exact measurement. Definitely not rocket surgery. And if by some odd chance I make the tenon too small, I just cut it off (turn it away) and try again. Yes, my blank is then a bit shorter, but hey - it's only wood. The stuff grows on trees. ;)

Nope sorry Vaughn, i dont go out measuring i do as u say if needs be.
But when i turn a birdsnest and i cut blocks of wood to start and then find my chuck does not want to take the block that i know it should, i got digging to find out. Did not want to do an initial operation to put a tennon on when it can go in this chucks jaws as a square piece if it opened properly. Now it does. ;)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

keeping the tenon large

Vaughn,

The issue was I did set a pair of calipers to the size a chuck was supposed to fit and a tad less. Turned the biggest tenon I could in the early days of turning only an eighth to three-sixteenth under max, I rightfully didn't trust the wood I was turning! I was leaving the tenon large diameter and just short enough it didn't bottom out in the chuck. Still only have the junk faceplate that came with the lathe, the piece mounting holes are slotted. So once I pull the faceplate getting it back exactly where it was would be pure luck.

It wasn't a big deal going back and forth an extra time, just a minor annoyance when I had turned the tenon to what the manual claimed would fit. I still use most of the diameter of the possible tenon when turning side grain. End grain I might go a little smaller.

When I break the man code and actually look at a manual the danged thing should at least be right! :)

Hu