One for Al Lanier:) and any others that want to listen,, like hu lowry

larry merlau

well its my time of the year, when the leaves fall and the deer start to get more interested in moving and the folks like me get ancy to go tot he woods and get one of them maybe.. well if any of you have gotten ready for a long awaited trip you know that there are many things that need to get packed.. well i had done most of my packing early. but we had to get the food round as well and that was being done by my better half some and mom for some as well.. and i was trying to get some work caught up before i left for the excursion,, i am not going alone on this i got two other buddies doing the same.. well the youngest buddy is a mechanic and was working on my ATV to get it to start better,, well the part was due to come in on Tuesday and we were leaving Friday still time .. well time changed the part wasnt coming in till friday am:( and i needed it to get to my stands.. well he tried to use old part and it dropped and he lost it so now its Thursday afternoon and i find this out so i do some quick net surfing and find one not far away.. he goes and gets it and puts machine back together so we got ATV now.. i dropped of trailer with my food in his fridge and freezer,, but he has his own troubles ,,bow needs new cables,, other buddy takes bow to shop gets new cables and when the tech put the last test on it it blew the string off,, could have ruined the bow, but fortunately it didnt,, so now he needs to re-sight bow will do it up at camp good we are gonna make it..the trailer has a 2" ball and the tow vehicle had one on the hitch but they thought it was 1.875, so they take it off and when we get there in the am its loaded and hooked with wrong ball, fortunately he mentioned to me it was a 1.875 ball and i said no it wasn't.. well the ball was put on by the neighbor with a impact wrench,, this is 6.30 am not gonna wake up guy for the impact, well maybe we are,, it was all i had to make it loosen up and we got the 2" on and re hooked..well almost ready to roll, had to get food from fridge and house and other truck. the cooler was gettin loaded by the driver of the rig as we loaded the spare tire he heard air coming out of it,, yup bad tire valve,, so if we leave it this way its ok and we will fix it up there, hope we dont need to change tire before then and its flat again.. well we got the food loaded and he asked me to check fridge and freezer i did and it was all gone from freezer and fridge,, looks good to me if you everything int here in the cooler we are good to go.. so we are off things going well make it to camp, 7hrs from home, and no stores for 50 miles.. well we go to take out the tire its still up but find out what is wrong the valve stem is almost cracked in two.. no problem, we will make a road trip and get i fixed well for supper we have some really good lasagna and before hand the youngest in camp which is a great cook says he didnt have everything he needed to make one single dish so we ate my meal first.. his wife got part of the stuff but not all of it:( so that meant we really needed to go to town .. well the lasagna was gone and we sipping our coffee and the driver said boy a piece of your moms cherry pie would sure hit the spot.. i agreed and the youngest guy said what pie???? there isnt any pie in here???? we got up and looked and the stuff i had brought over for the food, half of it was left out and not packed in the cooler.. so we had to go get food up there and fix a tire and and everybody was closed to fix for us so we fixed it redneck style ,,drove over it to break bead down and that got it started but had to beat it with splitting maul to get down far enough to replace valve.. oh and the lady at the grocery store thought it was pretty funny that 2 old farts and one youngster left in such a hurry that we left our food..:)

lasagna, pie...:huh: what happened to beef jerky, pork & beans and sardines...might as well stay at the Holiday Inn :p:D
Just kidding with you Larry. We had one of the Misses-es send up an apple pie one year, I talked the guys into loading up and driving to town 30 miles away so we could get some ice cream to go with our pie. Hey, we carry water back to camp in 10 gal.jugs as we're to cheap to put in a well. Add to that, that we also have outhouse facilities only, and the little things like pie & ice cream make a world of difference in the comfort department......:yes:

Happy Hunting :thumb:

Sounds like you have a fourth member in your hunting group by the name of Murphy. :(
Taking a cold bath in a stream & rolling in the snow afterwards to "dry off" (no towel) is something I'll never forget & never want to do again. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Are you using the Bear Kodiak Magnum I sold you or are you using a compound?
With the way things have gone, perhaps it's time to simplify things to minimize what else can go wrong. :dunno: Or did you forget the arrows? :rofl:
With all that has gone so wrong so far, you have to do well on the hunt, hopefully anyway.
Please keep in touch to let us know how you are doing. I sense another "Trophy" for your wall Larry. :thumb:

the only trouphy this year was a coyote that dropped in its tracks,, got a couple small bucks to fill freezer so am done for this season got to much ahead to do any more.. was a good year though.. the kodiak was on back up this year Al, next year it can play first string:)

What on earth is the obsession with cherry pie? Apple, oh heck YEAH!!...peach just came out of the oven...but cherry?. Berry pie...be still my beating heart!!!! Cherries need to be eaten off the stem or in cocktail...cherry pie ain't nuthin!!

What on earth is the obsession with cherry pie? Apple, oh heck YEAH!!...peach just came out of the oven...but cherry?. Berry pie...be still my beating heart!!!! Cherries need to be eaten off the stem or in cocktail...cherry pie ain't nuthin!!

well then, you wouldnt like mincemeat, raisin, custard, black berry,red rasberry, black rasberry, goose berry, rhubarb, strawberry rhubarb, just a northerner thing i quess:)

What!? Any berry is a friend of mine! Pot pie...el yummo!! We're still working on a chicken pot pie...but there is this Beef Wellington pot pie I'm still working on. It rocks when I get it right...sucks when I miss :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Larry, I keep going back to your post. Despite all the setbacks which aren't funny at the time, I get a chuckle every time I read it. Sure hope the hunt goes well for you! :thumb:

Reminds me of a "Bad Day in the Woods" experience I had that I wrote to remind me how things (everything) can go south when you least expect it. A friend submitted it to a local sports newspaper (Hawkeye) & it was published. Kinda embarrassing. I lost the article when my PC died. Hope I still have it on the backup hard drive, or a copy of the Hawkeye article??? If I do, I'll send you a copy.

I wasn't going to post this, but maybe someone will get a chuckle as i do whenever I think back on it. I found the abbreviated version in a post i made on an archery forum: http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1339015 where I, as Ancient Archer, fessed up to a Bad Day in the Woods.

Last edited: