Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: your jerky recipes

Wanted: your jerky recipes

Have smoker (also a dehydrator) and a double package of London broil. And a PID coming. WooHoo! One day sale on meat yesterday. Will trim and slice later today to get it ready.

So I need a recipe - or recipes to choose from.

Your turn.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    I use this one mainly for venison, but it works as well with nicely trimmed beef {remove as much fat as possible}.
    For about 2 lbs of starting meat which will result in 1/2 to 1 lb after drying, I use {approximately> no set rules for exact measuring}...

1 tbsp onion powder
    1 tbsp black pepper
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1 tsp salt
    1 tbsp garlic powder
    2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce

Mix all ingredients and pour over meat placed in a zip-lock bag...marinate overnight....drain, pat dry, allow to air dry 15mins to a half hour, then dry using your preferred method. I like the smoker, with a temp between 160° & 200° and anywhere from 6 to 12 hours depending on surrounding weather conditions and desired hardness. I have also used this recipe using the oven, set at 200° for about 4 hours, a dash of liquid smoke in the marinade makes up for the no chip burning in the house {Mrs rule lol}

BTW, a good tip for consistent sized strips, is to freeze the meat for an hour or so before slicing.
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

On my last attempt, I tried the one below, I just had the temp way to high and turned it to bark, but the flavor was good. I'd shoot for 150 degrees on temp, some folks say 140, some 160 - 170. The goal is to dry the meat, not cook it, but you also want to render any fat in it (a little higher temp helps with this) and soak it up with a paper towel.

http://www.foodgeeks.com/recipes/teriyaki-jerky-4819
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

We get a bottle of Soyaki...blend of soy, teriyaki and sesame, found in any market...toss the meat in that for a day the put it on the dehydrator until done...usually about 48-72 hrs. Carne asada works really well too.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

How thick do you make the slices? I used to have a slicer - no more. I do know about the partially frozen trick for slicing, though. When I had the slicer, I made them around 3/16" That's a bit harder with just a knife, albeit a sharp one. Thanks, Brent.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    OK for starter something I have learned fairly recently is don't use table salt. use either sea salt or kosher salt. Table salt contains Iodine which will make the meat bitter. Now my basic recipe would use 1 tsp salt with 1 tps brown sugar per pound of meat and you can add soy other seasoning to taste. If you are going to cold smoke it you will need to add 1 gram of cureing salt (Sodium nitrite I believe) per lb. of meat. You can use Morton's tender quick in place of the salt since it contains the proper ratio of cure. Walmart sells the tender quick cure.

Oh and something I forgot is you should figure curing in the fridg for 24 hrs per 1/4 inch thickness of the meat for proper curing.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 11-09-2013 at 06:22 PM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    How thick do you make the slices? I used to have a slicer - no more. I do know about the partially frozen trick for slicing, though. When I had the slicer, I made them around 3/16" That's a bit harder with just a knife, albeit a sharp one. Thanks, Brent.
    I aim for 1/4" Alice just a knife here as well!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cook View Post
    I aim for 1/4" Alice just a knife here as well!
    what has "Alice" got to do with it.... that ok Ken I suffer from Phat Phyngur symdrum also...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    what has "Alice" got to do with it.... that ok Ken I suffer from Phat Phyngur symdrum also...
    Just thinking of doing a movie....call it something like> 'Brent & Carol & Ken & Alice', a 'remember when' film, brought to you by Slip sliding minds, a hazy films production

To be very clear, you can make jerky without a cure, but for safety, that would only be for jerky that would be consumed quickly, or stored in the fridge or freezer.

If you intend to store it long term, un-refrigerated, you will need to use a 'cure' on it. I've not used the Tenderquick, but I have used primarily commercial preperations that already contain the proper proportion of seasoning and 'cure'. I have purchased some of the '#1' and '#2' cures, but have not used them yet.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/for-your-h...-tender-quick/

Whatever you do, make sure to follow the recipes and recommended amounts accurately.

Here's what the USDA has to say about it. They say that home made jerky should be consumed in 1-2 months.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/...nd-food-safety
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash