Wanted: your jerky recipes

There are scores of recipies. But keep in mind, over the centuries no preparation was used at all. Just heat. I have done both venison and beef. Sometimes I simply rub with coarse ground black pepper. Other times I marinade in Teryaki sauce. I keep temp low, about 125 degrees and hang from the oven rack with toothpicks. You can never have too much jerky on hand.

I have never made my own, but have consumed loads of Biltong which i am beginning to believe is now not the equivalent of what ya all call Jerky and which many including me have been passing off as one and the same thing.

One thing i know for sure, the jerky one buys in the stores as "jerky" is an insult in my opinion to all the people in the pioneer days that would have come up with this concept. There should be rules about what constitutes for being sold labeled "Jerky" like we had in SA for Boerewors.

I dont personally know enough about the whole process of making it so this link to Biltong will have to do. Suffice to say, i dont know of anyone that went to the trouble i read about here to make Biltong. Maybe we were all lucky to survive. Maybe we had good genes that could deal with all the bacteria and chemicals. I dunno. When i think of all the things that we should not do and should not eat etc that i have personally eaten and done and am still alive and kicking today, I cannot help but wonder. I think the big factor is moderation.
Best Biltong i have had has been made from wild meat, as in impala, kudu, etc. The emphasis though is dried meat. Not just cured like say the Italian prosciutto or Spanish gamon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biltong