Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to me PSI Blade Guard and dust collector

New to me PSI Blade Guard and dust collector

So, I got this from Carol who got it from Glenn!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FWW-0133.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	79211

I got quite a good deal on it, and it should provide some additional safety and much needed dost collection capability for the shop.

It's been sitting on my bench taking up space for long enough, and since I got the shop reasonably clean yesterday, decided to the best way to store it would be to install it.

It really went quite quickly, although I have a few extra parts? Pretty sure this is a testament to the Glenn Bradley belt and suspender approach to anything engineering.

Name:	FWW-0136.jpg 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	79208

Question, is there any reason I can't/shouldn't trim the end from the right side off a bit? The tube in a tum could certainly slide enough if I ever get longer rails, but honestly, I don't ever see going that route.

Name:	FWW-0134.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	79210

I've got a few metal working projects coming up and I picked up this little band saw at Harbor Freight. It will make that cut quite quick and easy.

Name:	FWW-0135.jpg 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	79209
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Looks good, Brent.

If you want to get a little more of the right end of the arm out of the way, it looks like you could bury the small tube a few more inches into the large tube, then slide the big tube to the left.

Incidentally, I still have a complete system like that for sale but it's really only practical for someone in my area or someone traveling close by. Shipping would be a bear!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    If you want to get a little more of the right end of the arm out of the way, it looks like you could bury the small tube a few more inches into the large tube, then slide the big tube to the left.
    Guess I wanted to use my bandsaw so much I overlooked the obvious!

Thanks Bill!

Now I just need to go to the store and pickup some fittings to get it all hooked up.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

I have a different make, but sliding that little tube into the big one is how I get the basket out of the way when needed. But my big tube is fixed, does that one (the big tube) slide to allow room for tenon jigs or vertical cuts?

They both slide, so removing it totally would be undoing whatever I come up with to hook it to the DC, and then untwisting one knob, and removing the entire assembly.

Good to think about though...

I've wanted that one for quite some time. Everyone I know that has it really loves it.
    Congrats !!!!!!!
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I got mine from the original manufacture 1/2 price about 12-14 years ago I think the brand name was Exaktor PSI used to sell them. The one they sell now seems to look a lot like my Exaktor. I've not been real happy with it. To hard to see inside the blade guard even with a light installed & the dust pick up is at the back & it should be at the front. When I get a shop set up again I may try it with a shop vac instead of hooking up to the DC it may have more velocity with the vac hose being the same size as the Exaktor hose..

http://www.amazon.com/Exaktor-EXOA-2.../dp/B000EZXYWM
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 11-10-2013 at 01:55 AM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Awesome, been thinking about one of those. I need to work out my dust collection layout and get some pipes run. It would allow me to run an overhead line so I don't have to trip on it.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I hodgepodged a connector for it from parts on hand so it all goes through the drop tube. I can definite feel the air moving through it.

Now, time to make it do some work!

Just something nice about taking the time to get things back to useable. Not sure 'why' or 'how' I got it out of that stage after BW was over, but I'm back in business now.

I have that same set up. 1) once you have it set duct tape the seams. The factory o rings tend to not make the greatest seal.
    2) get rid of that flex hose that goes from the blade guard to the pipe and get the one from Rockler that you can bend like a bendy straw. The factory one is too stiff and tends to cant the blade guard askew.
    3) set up some type of stiffener from the pipe to the ceiling over the blade guard, it will sway otherwise. And you don't want to have it move and catch the moving blade (don't ask me how I know this)
    4) don't rely on the counterweight to have the guard ride up and over the workpiece on its own. Set it to ride just above the thickness of your stock. And leave the friction bolt just loose enough so you can raise and lower the guard at need. As Bart said it gets hard to see the blade once dust starts collecting along the inside surface and being able to raise it up to set the blade and fence distance then drop it back down as well as using various accessories makes for a good time saver.
    5) I run 2 dust collectors on my ts my jet 1100 cfm to the main duct and a jet 650 cfm portable under the table hooked up to this unit. The two working in combination do an adequate job. The big thing with the overhead is to get the fines
    He who laughs last, thinks slowest