New to me PSI Blade Guard and dust collector

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, I got this from Carol who got it from Glenn!

FWW-0133.jpg

I got quite a good deal on it, and it should provide some additional safety and much needed dost collection capability for the shop.

It's been sitting on my bench taking up space for long enough, and since I got the shop reasonably clean yesterday, decided to the best way to store it would be to install it.

It really went quite quickly, although I have a few extra parts? Pretty sure this is a testament to the Glenn Bradley belt and suspender approach to anything engineering.

FWW-0136.jpg

Question, is there any reason I can't/shouldn't trim the end from the right side off a bit? The tube in a tum could certainly slide enough if I ever get longer rails, but honestly, I don't ever see going that route.

FWW-0134.jpg

I've got a few metal working projects coming up and I picked up this little band saw at Harbor Freight. It will make that cut quite quick and easy.

FWW-0135.jpg

Looks good, Brent.

If you want to get a little more of the right end of the arm out of the way, it looks like you could bury the small tube a few more inches into the large tube, then slide the big tube to the left.

Incidentally, I still have a complete system like that for sale but it's really only practical for someone in my area or someone traveling close by. Shipping would be a bear!

If you want to get a little more of the right end of the arm out of the way, it looks like you could bury the small tube a few more inches into the large tube, then slide the big tube to the left.
:doh: Guess I wanted to use my bandsaw so much I overlooked the obvious!

Thanks Bill!

Now I just need to go to the store and pickup some fittings to get it all hooked up.

I have a different make, but sliding that little tube into the big one is how I get the basket out of the way when needed. But my big tube is fixed, does that one (the big tube) slide to allow room for tenon jigs or vertical cuts?

They both slide, so removing it totally would be undoing whatever I come up with to hook it to the DC, and then untwisting one knob, and removing the entire assembly.

Good to think about though...

I got mine from the original manufacture 1/2 price about 12-14 years ago I think the brand name was Exaktor PSI used to sell them. The one they sell now seems to look a lot like my Exaktor. I've not been real happy with it. To hard to see inside the blade guard even with a light installed & the dust pick up is at the back & it should be at the front. When I get a shop set up again I may try it with a shop vac instead of hooking up to the DC it may have more velocity with the vac hose being the same size as the Exaktor hose..

http://www.amazon.com/Exaktor-EXOA-2-Table-Overarm-Collector/dp/B000EZXYWM

Last edited:
Awesome, been thinking about one of those. I need to work out my dust collection layout and get some pipes run. It would allow me to run an overhead line so I don't have to trip on it. ;)

I hodgepodged a connector for it from parts on hand so it all goes through the drop tube. I can definite feel the air moving through it.

Now, time to make it do some work!

Just something nice about taking the time to get things back to useable. Not sure 'why' or 'how' I got it out of that stage after BW was over, but I'm back in business now.

I have that same set up. 1) once you have it set duct tape the seams. The factory o rings tend to not make the greatest seal.
2) get rid of that flex hose that goes from the blade guard to the pipe and get the one from Rockler that you can bend like a bendy straw. The factory one is too stiff and tends to cant the blade guard askew.
3) set up some type of stiffener from the pipe to the ceiling over the blade guard, it will sway otherwise. And you don't want to have it move and catch the moving blade (don't ask me how I know this)
4) don't rely on the counterweight to have the guard ride up and over the workpiece on its own. Set it to ride just above the thickness of your stock. And leave the friction bolt just loose enough so you can raise and lower the guard at need. As Bart said it gets hard to see the blade once dust starts collecting along the inside surface and being able to raise it up to set the blade and fence distance then drop it back down as well as using various accessories makes for a good time saver.
5) I run 2 dust collectors on my ts my jet 1100 cfm to the main duct and a jet 650 cfm portable under the table hooked up to this unit. The two working in combination do an adequate job. The big thing with the overhead is to get the fines

Cool. It lives to serve again. I ran that thing ever since I used a contractor saw up in Folsom (no, I wasn't in the prison) until I got the Saw Stop. The spare parts are from an order after one of the hoods got dinged a bit. As long as I was going for the hood I got the parts for a possible ceiling mount / second saw that never panned out. I hope it serves you as well as it did me.

To Rich's concerns:
1) I never did tape the joints but, it couldn't hurt.
2) The hose worked great for me but, I live where it is mostly warm and plastics get pretty pliable ;-)
3) I drilled a "cone" into the vertical mast and "pointed" the T-knob-bolt so that if the mast is oriented correctly, the t-knob-bolt locks into the "cone" when you just snug it to the mast. You just give it a half a turn and the whole rig sings out of the way for sled work and such.
4) I forget if I included the bolt and washers I added to the hood's t-track to correct the balance. I set it so the hood just barely floats back down after the material has past through.
5) The velocity of the spoil coming off a tablesaw blade is hard to over come with airspeed / volume. I ran a 6" to a 4" gate and then connected to the boom with a short piece of flex.

Overarm (1).jpg

Last edited:
interesting tweaks Glenn, I may give that cone/point one a try. I also need to stiffen up the boom over the saw. I have a couple metal straps going to the ceiling right now but it still moves... just me going for the "thatll do it for now" fix and then not getting back to it......
Going to eventually get a larger capacity DC unit and at that time may either split the line between the saw base and the overarm or hook the 1100cfm up to the overarm on its own.
bottom line though its a great little system for the money and would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for this type of system
I also like Barts idea of the light. Bart would you post a pic of your set up?

I got tired of the arm right over the saw table so I mounted it in a split block system to the ceiling. Another shot with the light installed to help visibility.

Attachments

• Tablesaw 2.jpg
    Tablesaw 2.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 13
  • A1 myshop 118.jpg
    A1 myshop 118.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 11
Last edited: