Bench shots/ weekend doins'

Jeff Horton

Its the weekend again. Time to post those photos of your bench tops. Show us what you have on your bench. And since Don is not longer with us. :rofl: I am going to change this to include his Weekend Doins' till he returns. Most people were posting that in this thread anyway so I can take a hint. :)

So, post your weekend projects and whats on your benches!

My bench is empty since I finished the cabinets. I have haven't started anything else yet so I have cleaned up the Lab. Pulled some machines out an put them up for sale. Trying to clean out my corner where I restore the machines for a new shipment of restoration Arn that is coming.

Right now I have my trailer pulled in the Lab. I am putting together my Arn Retrieval/Survival kit. :) I head out early Monday to hopefully trade this new bandsaw off and bring back the old bandsaw. So I am gather up chains, rope, come-alongs etc. All the needed tools to check out and load the saw.

I will probably work on moving some stuff around today. If the bandsaw deal goes through that's going to be two large machines coming in. And restoring this big saw is going to take a lot of room!

Sunday will we be in Church to celebrate Easter and probably go out with some new friends. So no shop work except to load the bandsaw on the trailer and hock up to the Arn Hauler.

Jeff

Well, if all things go well tomorrow, my weekend, Sunday, will mainly be spent in the Dungeon, trying to get caught up. Last Sunday, I was supposed to spend the day building this box for my client, instead I spend the day Jointer wrassling, as I found out my jointer's out feed table was out by about 1/8" over 3 feet :doh:but, I REALLY do not want to talk about it................ I put it this way, there are NO PICS of the proceedings....:rolleyes:

Anyway, I got on with the box/case project, and got my first glue up done :thumb:

And I hope to get the darn thing MOSTLY done tomorrow, as well as some cleaning up, and some reorganization, I have to make a spot for the Phoenix, when I get it done, so I'm going to throw out my collection of plastic cases that came with various hand tools, I must have at least a dozen of the darn things...........:D

OK here is my bench shot.......

bench_shot_april_07_2007.JPG

Cheers!

As I have a "non standard" work week (days off Sundays & Mondays), My Saturdays are pretty much tied up.

Easter Sunday will be Church and then a big lunch with my wife's family and then dinner with my family. With any luck I will be able to spend some time in the shop on Sunday night.

If that happens I will probably work on a couple of jigs that I have been planning on building.
1st a rail coping jig for the router table
similar to this one: http://www.rockler.com/gallery.cfm?Offerings_ID=16416&TabSelect=Details
--My big and ongoing project is a cabinet & shelves for my family room. It is going to have 3 raised panel doors... so this is where this jig will come in handy.

2nd a box joint jig -- I don't really need this right now, but its something that I want to have around the shop.

If through some miracle of time travel, I get these done and still have time to spent in the shop, I have several stools that I am making for people that are about 1/3 done.

Not much on my bench. Just a couple of routers that I use with my dovetail jig. I did manage to organize and hang up my Kreg pocket hole stuff on the backside of the bench so that everything is handy. I guess that you could call it my dovetail and pocket hole center plus small workbench or my new term "combo bench".

workbench3.jpg

A bench on my bench

I guess that my Festool MFT (multi-function table) and the mobile cart usually housed underneath the MFT, qualify as a bench. Right now, they are supporting the parts for the top of the new woodworking bench that I am in the middle of building. Here are a couple of photos:

New bench parts -1 -small.jpg New bench parts -2 -small.JPG

I will not be doing very woodworking this weekend due to a very busy social calendar (not Easter related becase we are not religious) as well as a bunch of outside clean-up work. So, Monday morning I expect that the bench on the bench will look much like it does right now.

Just odds and ends on my bench for now. Nothing to show, as I have all those oak cabinets that were on my bench, loaded in my trailer, ready to install this afternoon.:thumb:

Allen, I like the way that you have hung your pocket hole stuff on your bench. Maybe I can find roon to do something similar on the bench that I am building.

Thanks Frank! I am just running out of room so looking for new spots to put stuff so that I do not have to dig through boxes or shelves with stuff piled high.

Allen

That was fast, didn't you just buy that stuff in Tampa!

Jay

Hi Jay. Yep, that's it. I used my little Penn State one quite a bit so I though that I would put this one some place handy. I had expected to see a SawStop in your shop by now or do you just like to see other people spend money? I usually do that but got caught this time.

AVCenter02.jpg

In the middle of getting an AV Center built. The big spalted pecan post will be part (several parts, actually) of that, but as you can see, some lathe fun managed to distract me from the drudgery of creation. Plan is to have at it full day tomorrow. This project might get done in only 9 years. ;)

Sam,

Please forgive the really stupid question, but what's that tool on your bench? It looks like an angle grinder with a sanding drum mounted on it? Is that just an optical illusion? ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Plans changed. Really have nothing to do in the shop and was just piddling around. My wife reminded me I had never finished her coffee table. I had rushed it because she had a partY and wanted to get it in place for it. So I took it down to the Lab for the last little things.

benchtop.jpg

Last edited:
Counter top work...

I'm remodeling all our bathrooms, and the current stage is countertops. I removed the laminate one from the guest bathroom this last night and added some support. I will be putting in all new cast iron sinks and new faucets as well as having the the granite tops installed.

Here's the progress so far.

Here's the granite slab for the guest bathroom top.

Today I start demolition on the powder room. This will be more involved, as it's tile!:eek:

Sam,

... but what's that tool on your bench? It looks like an angle grinder with a sanding drum mounted on it? Is that just an optical illusion? ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, it is an angle grinder, and mounted on it is the Arbortech Mini Grinder attachment. There are many different wheels you can get for it, from cutters to carvers to sanders. There is a Kutzall wheel on it now, sort of half way between a grinder/sander. I originally bought just the attachment, but found myself using it so much that I got it its own angle grinder to grow old with, as well as one for its bigger brother, which I also love.

Here is a link to it:
http://www.arbortech.com.au/view/woodworking-information/mini-grinder_20070202100615

Greg

That granite looks fantastic! Yeah, I'd be beefing up the cabinets too if I were putting that slab on them!

Greg

That granite looks fantastic! Yeah, I'd be beefing up the cabinets too if I were putting that slab on them!

Alan

Of course I like to watch other people spend money! That way I know how they feel when they're watching me.

No Saw stop yet, can't justify the cabinet saw version for the shop, I need to have something I can roll around to make space. So, I'm waiting for the contractor version. the website says Late 2007, oh well, the money market fund can just keep accruing interest for a bit.

Sorry everyone for the partial double post, must have hit the enter key and didn't realize it

Jay

Bench? WHAT bench? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I've been trying to pull the nails out of crates and pallets so the trash guys would pick them up and I could get to the planer to set it up. The Cyclone came yesterday and now I can't get to ANYTHING! :rofl:

100_1486.jpg

We about have all the measurements about ready and will send them to Penn State Ind. for a layout. I have a 30+ year air conditioning/duct guy ready to put it together. I sure will be glad when this part is finally finished. :doh:

DT

A little tightening up and some wax, it’ll be good as new….
I made this cradle in the spring of ’03 for grandkid #3. Grandkid #4 followed a couple years later. Grandkid #5 is going to pop in a couple of weeks. I think that’s the last of the grandkids for now. :eek:

Attachments

• Bench-shot.jpg
    Bench-shot.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 24
Bruce,

That cradle is an absolute masterpiece. Very impressive! You must have better tools than I do. That has to be the answer. Looks like your tools are much like mine. There must be another answer.

Allen