Listen To The Music

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
We had a friend sit in with our band for a song last Sunday. Marianna sings in another band with some good friends of ours, and this was the first time she's come out to see our band. Not only is she just cuter than a barrel full of puppies, she's a very sweet gal. Her husband is a real nice guy, too. :thumb: This is not the greatest audio, but it's better than some of the other videos we've shot.

http://youtu.be/39dTT1NGimw

Nothing quite like making a little music. I was in a choir group in high school that used to travel around by bus. This song was one of the mainstay's. I played guitar, and didn't sing.

Was a favorite then, is a favorite now.

Thanks for bringing back some memories.

looks like you have a mixed bag of folks attending your jigs all ages!!

This was an early evening gig, so there were people of all ages, from little kids to one guy who was 89 years old. The pub we were playing at is also a restaurant, so it's an all ages kind of place. Some of the other places we play are strictly age 21 and over. (The two teenagers you see in the foreground of the video were there with their mom, Teresa, a high school friend of mine and Jeff's. She's battling Stage 4 cancer and is in a wheelchair these days. :( The kids bring her out to see us when she's strong enough...it helps boost her spirits.)

Nice pipes!...

Marianna is proof that big sounds can come out of small packages. Here's another example of her singing. This was recorded a couple of years ago...her second gig ever with this band:

http://youtu.be/1M_DzL3m_xQ

That band is Electric Edric. The keyboardist - Steve - is the guy who used to play with my band in the '80s. One of my best longtime friends. (We met when I stole his fiancee from him in about 1976. He still thanks me for that.) :D The bass player is Eddie Two Moons, another good friend. Eddie happens to also be the President of the Chiricahua Apache Nation (the same band of Apaches that was once led by Geronimo). He's a total class act. The drummer is Donnie, the same drummer who was playing with us in the first video. (He's one of two drummers who play with my band depending on availability, and he was filling in for Electric Edric's normal drummer the night this video was recorded.) And the guitarist - Edric - is another good buddy who lets me steal his guitar and sit in with his band pretty much anytime I want.

Of course I'm wondering about the key...capo 8?...

We play it in E flat, although the Doobies recorded it in E. I think Mike is running his capo in about the 4th or 5th fret...I'm not sure. He tunes his guitar down to E flat, so typically he wouldn't need a capo for this song, but he uses the capo to just get a bit different voicing on the chords. (The capo doesn't dictate the key...the chord shapes played in front of the capo are what matters.) I'm not using a capo, but that particular Strat is tuned to E flat. I'm mostly playing G-form and C-form barre chords in the 9th fret. Those chords would be an E and an A if the guitar was in normal tuning, but since the guitar is tuned a half step down, they end up being E flat and A flat.