Thread: Miller's Falls #9 plane on its way!

Miller's Falls #9 plane on its way!

I am so excited about this I can't sit still. I went looking on ebay for a Stanley #4, and found this one-owner #9 Miller's Falls plane (Stanley #4 equivalent) and got it for $40 + about $12 shipping. It has been restored, or refinished, but it looks pretty much new. It should be here by Wednesday, and I really can't make a big fuss over it at home. It comes with the original blade, unused as the previous owner used a OEM blade all the time he owned it. This will leave me with the decision whether to use a Veritas blade or just hone up the original.

I still want a Stanley #4, too. Why not?
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Congrats, I'm sure you will enjoy it!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Re: Miller's Falls #9 plane on its way!

Good for you Roger. I can relate to your deelings. Had the same when i got caught up once on ebay and bought a jointer plane. Love the plane. Was in great shape. Keep at it but my new rule is set waht i am prepared to pay and cut and break away if it goes over.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    cheers

I got it at the 'buy it now' price, which was less than I was prepared to pay.
    Cheers,
    Roger

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

It's arrived!

My wife got it from the delivery man at the door when she left for work yesterday, threw it in the car and didn't tell me it was here until I asked about it. It's very pretty, and the blade has been honed although it needs some work. Pics tomorrow.
    Cheers,
    Roger

I like Miller Falls tools. Of course I like Stanley tools too. How ever not just anyone can have a Miller Falls tool & we know you not just anyone.

I have a #22 Miller Falls plane & a hand drill. I may have other MF tools but can only remember these.

I made a new tote & knob for the plane I know they are not the proper shapes & will replace them some day they fell good in my hands & it works good too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1. Miller Falls #22.jpg   A1 myshop 089a.jpg  
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    I made a new tote & knob for the plane I know they are not the proper shapes & will replace them some day they fell good in my hands & it works good too.
    That's a good looking tote and knob. I have the diagrams for totes and knobs from LV. Someday I will replace a couple of broken totes on my planes. I've been thinking of running the grain along the axis of the tote, to see if that makes a stronger tote. I also have a MF block plane, the type that looks something like a Stanley #102. I use all my planes occasionally, so I've used it mostly for chamfering. I've had that one for a few years. When I bought it, I'd never heard of Millers Falls.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The proof of the plane(s):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MFsmooth01.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	79362

This is my battery of smoothing planes, from l - r my newly acquired #3, my Canadian knock-off #4 (a very good planein its own right,) the Millers Falls #9, and my MF block plane.

Name:	MFsmooth02.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	79363Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MFsmooth03.jpg 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	79364Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MFsmooth04.jpg 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	79365

Three views of the MF #9. According to the seller, this plane was little used. It appears to have been honed, but it needs a little attention.

Name:	MFsmooth05.jpg 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	79366Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MFsmooth06.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	79367

A quick look at my MF block plane. I could have done a nicer job of honing it, I suppose but it works fine.
    Cheers,
    Roger

Re: Miller's Falls #9 plane on its way!

Enjoy Roger. Looks like a nice collection you have coming along there.:thumbup:

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    cheers