Miller's Falls #9 plane on its way!

Roger Tulk

I am so excited about this I can't sit still. I went looking on ebay for a Stanley #4, and found this one-owner #9 Miller's Falls plane (Stanley #4 equivalent) and got it for $40 + about $12 shipping. It has been restored, or refinished, but it looks pretty much new. It should be here by Wednesday, and I really can't make a big fuss over it at home. It comes with the original blade, unused as the previous owner used a OEM blade all the time he owned it. This will leave me with the decision whether to use a Veritas blade or just hone up the original.

I still want a Stanley #4, too. Why not?

Good for you Roger. I can relate to your deelings. :) Had the same when i got caught up once on ebay and bought a jointer plane. Love the plane. Was in great shape. Keep at it but my new rule is set waht i am prepared to pay and cut and break away if it goes over.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

It's arrived!

My wife got it from the delivery man at the door when she left for work yesterday, threw it in the car and didn't tell me it was here until I asked about it. :rolleyes: It's very pretty, and the blade has been honed although it needs some work. Pics tomorrow.

I like Miller Falls tools. Of course I like Stanley tools too. How ever not just anyone can have a Miller Falls tool & we know you not just anyone.

I have a #22 Miller Falls plane & a hand drill. I may have other MF tools but can only remember these.

I made a new tote & knob for the plane I know they are not the proper shapes & will replace them some day they fell good in my hands & it works good too.

Attachments

• 1. Miller Falls #22.jpg
    1. Miller Falls #22.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 13
  • A1 myshop 089a.jpg
    A1 myshop 089a.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 11
I made a new tote & knob for the plane I know they are not the proper shapes & will replace them some day they fell good in my hands & it works good too.

That's a good looking tote and knob. I have the diagrams for totes and knobs from LV. Someday I will replace a couple of broken totes on my planes. I've been thinking of running the grain along the axis of the tote, to see if that makes a stronger tote. I also have a MF block plane, the type that looks something like a Stanley #102. I use all my planes occasionally, so I've used it mostly for chamfering. I've had that one for a few years. When I bought it, I'd never heard of Millers Falls.

The proof of the plane(s):

MFsmooth01.jpg

This is my battery of smoothing planes, from l - r my newly acquired #3, my Canadian knock-off #4 (a very good planein its own right,) the Millers Falls #9, and my MF block plane.

MFsmooth02.jpgMFsmooth03.jpgMFsmooth04.jpg

Three views of the MF #9. According to the seller, this plane was little used. It appears to have been honed, but it needs a little attention.

MFsmooth05.jpgMFsmooth06.jpg

A quick look at my MF block plane. I could have done a nicer job of honing it, I suppose but it works fine.