Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are the Realistic Expectations from a Chuck

What are the Realistic Expectations from a Chuck

I have a Grizzly knock-off of a Vicmark chuck.
    I have a Talon chuck.

I have a problem removing a piece from the chuck and getting it remounted so that it is still centered.
    I do mark the chuck jaw and the wood so that relationship is constant.
    I do not have trouble with spindle work.

The jaws in the Grizzly seem quite loose to me; there is definitely slop. The jaws in the Talon are a small amount loose, whereas the metal lathe chucks I have had have absolutely no movement.
    I take a lot of the blame here. When I purchased the chuck I was really green. I did not know a good chuck from a bad one. I should have called Grizzly. I did not call.
    Glenn and I both have some excellent Grizzly tools.

Almost all of the bowls (and some other things) I turn have a foot. That foot is the tenon I use in the chuck. The Talon chuck is useless for this as the jaws masticate the tenon. The Grizzly chuck jaws fit the 15* angle of the foot perfectly so I use the Grizzly the most. The Talon chuck works great as long as you are going to saw off the tenon.

Am I fighting an un-winable battle---like trying to keep my shop dust free?

What do you do?
    What chuck(s) are you having success with?

Enjoy,
    JimB
    Last edited by Jim C Bradley; 11-11-2013 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Offset bad opinion
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

I had a Grizzly chuck, don't know if it was the same one, but it was unworkable to me and I'm not even a good turner. I got rid of it when I sold a lathe I had. I threw it in with the lathe, but I told the buyer why,, I'm not really mean. I am well satisfied with my two Nova chucks, a Supernova 2 and a mini chuck. Oneway makes a great chuck. Plus some others I can't think of. It is worth getting a good chuck in my opinion. If you don't you will be pretty frustrated.
    "We the People ......"

I have 2 Vicmarc 100 chucks, & have just bought the Vicmarc 120.
    Never had any hassle .
    If you buy the best, you only pay once.
    HTH
    Col
    A tidy workshop is the sign of a sick mind.

www.bouvardbush.com

I've got a couple of Nova chucks, and had a PSI Barracuda at one point, too. In my experience, 80%+ of the time, a blank that has been removed from the chuck will not re-mount perfectly true, no matter how careful I am or how accurately I mark the previous jaw locations. I stopped worrying about it, and now I simply plan on taking a few truing passes to make things round again after a re-mounting. I think both of my Novas have a bit of slop in the jaws when loose, but once tightened, they definitely run true.

As an aside, and this is strictly personal opinion, but I really dislike seeing a foot on a bowl that was an obvious tenon. Similarly, I don't like seeing a recess that still has jaw marks on it. (I really don't like seeing a recess at all, jaw marks or no.) In both cases, it simply makes the piece look unfinished and amateurish. If I lived closer to you Jim, I'd show you some ways to turn that tenon all the way off, or turn enough of it away to where it no longer looks like a tenon.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Re: What are the Realistic Expectations from a Chuck

Phew, am I glad to hear what Vaughn has said. I also have not had any luck remounting something in a chuck but no ways was i going to pipe up with my know how. LoL. So Jim and Vaughn you out a ghost to rest for me.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I've got a couple of Nova chucks, and had a PSI Barracuda at one point, too. In my experience, 80%+ of the time, a blank that has been removed from the chuck will not re-mount perfectly true, no matter how careful I am or how accurately I mark the previous jaw locations. I stopped worrying about it, and now I simply plan on taking a few truing passes to make things round again after a re-mounting. I think both of my Novas have a bit of slop in the jaws when loose, but once tightened, they definitely run true.

As an aside, and this is strictly personal opinion, but I really dislike seeing a foot on a bowl that was an obvious tenon. Similarly, I don't like seeing a recess that still has jaw marks on it. (I really don't like seeing a recess at all, jaw marks or no.) In both cases, it simply makes the piece look unfinished and amateurish. If I lived closer to you Jim, I'd show you some ways to turn that tenon all the way off, or turn enough of it away to where it no longer looks like a tenon.
    Vaughn, you won't know how much I hate to go against your grain because you are one of the Tops. However I like a foot on a bowl. At least to me, my tenons do not look like tenons, they look like a foot/base made for the piece. I like the lift it gives and in many shapes if makes the bowl float. My bowl "tenon/foot" is apt to be 5 or 6 inches in diameter on a 5" to 8" bowl. Does that make you feel any better?

Yes I do agree in CAPITAL letters that NO jaw marks should show!

Signed---One of your many admirers,
    JimB
    Last edited by Jim C Bradley; 11-12-2013 at 12:48 AM.
    VOTING MEMBER

Some things gets feets, some don't. Unless you are turning to satisfy buyers, you have only to please yourself. If it looks right to you, that's all that matters. When I make something that needs to be steady, like a salad bowl or some other serving piece I usually put a substantial foot on the piece...some might even think clunky . An art piece like a vase might not have any foot except a slight undercut where the base tucks back underneath the form. In any case, if you use a tennon, you must be careful with your tennon length, making sure it is not so long that it bottoms out in the chuck, leaving a space between the shoulder of the jaws and the bottom of the piece. I keep my tenons short enough to not contact the inside of the chuck and use the resulting contact point between the shoulder of the jaws and the bottom of the piece to establish a firm reference point. This way usually only a minor bit of truing up is required if the piece has to be remounted. Here are some of my bottoms. Lets see yours.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	urn-111-d (Small).jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	79291Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2765C (Small).jpg 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	79290Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spalt-4 (Large).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	79281Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04965-C.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	79282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04988-C.jpg 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	79283Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PECAN-BOTTOM-1.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	79284Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cherryNE-7 (Large).jpg 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	79285

Hey Ted,

I really like your "double" tenon/foot/whatever as plainly shown in pic 3 and 7.

Almost all of my turnings are given to people who are relatives or have done something nice. I did keep the first few pieces for future reference and auld lang syne. I will stop and take photos.

Well it seems that the only bowls I have with a foot are the two that Vaughn hates most. Sorry 'bout that big guy. These bowls are about my 3rd or 4th bowls; I'm not sure of the history on them. Number 1 was a recessed bottom, which created a ring foot. Not sure which was number 2.

Enjoy,
    JimB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 002_renamed_15078.jpg   004.jpg   007.jpg  
    VOTING MEMBER

Hey Ted,

I really like your "double" tenon/foot/whatever as plainly shown in pic 3 and 7.

Almost all of my turnings are given to people who are relatives or have done something nice. I did keep the first few pieces for future reference and auld lang syne. I will stop and take photos.

Well it seems that the only bowls I have with a foot are the two that Vaughn hates most. Sorry 'bout that big guy. These bowls are about my 3rd or 4th bowls; I'm not sure of the history on them. Number 1 was a recessed bottom, which created a ring foot. Not sure which was number 2.

Notice the floating effect of the larger bowl. It does have a shorter foot/tenon than the other. Perhaps I should make a jam chuck and shorten the longer one for Vaughn.

Enjoy,
    JimB
    VOTING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C Bradley View Post
    Well it seems that the only bowls I have with a foot are the two that Vaughn hates most. Sorry 'bout that big guy. These bowls are about my 3rd or 4th bowls; I'm not sure of the history on them.
    I quite like the bigger one with the shorter foot, the smaller foot makes it sort of seem to float off of the background.