Zuppa Tuscana

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
It's soup weather here. I made up a batch of my version of Olive Garden's Zuppa Tuscana soup last night...

Ingredients:
1/2 - 1 lb Italian sausage (I use mild)
6 Larger yellow Yukon potatoes, sliced in half, and then in 1/4 inch slices
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 cup bacon bits
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups kale, chopped
1 (32 ounce) container chicken broth
1/2 - 1 quart water (depends on how many potatoes you add, sometimes usually enough to cover the potatoes)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 tsp Red Pepper flakes

I only used about 3/4 lb of sausage, cut the casings off and brown/crumbled it up. I already had some cooked bacon left from Sunday's breakfast, so it is added later, otherwise cook it along with the sausage if you'd like.
2013-11-12 18.37.37.jpg

Half and slice the potatoes into 1/4 slices. Chop up a whole onion and mince up two cloves of garlic also and set all aside.
2013-11-12 18.37.41.jpg

Once the sausage (and bacon) is cooked, toss in the onions and a 1/4 cup of broth to help steam them. Cook them about 5 minutes covered or until they start to clear a bit.
2013-11-12 18.45.48.jpg

Then toss in the garlic for about a minute. I don't care to cook the garlic for too long as it gets a bitter taste.
2013-11-12 18.48.53.jpg

Toss in the potatoes, red pepper, bacon (if you didn't cook it with the sausage), broth, and water. The amount of water may vary, it depends on how many potatoes you add. I usually add just enough to cover the potatoes. Cover and bring to a mild boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 20 minutes or the potatoes are tender.
2013-11-12 18.51.03.jpg

While that is cooking, cut up about 2 cups of kale leaves if you haven't already, I remove the larger stems.
2013-11-12 18.56.16.jpg

After the potatoes are tender, I add the cup of cream, then stir in the kale and let it all come up to temp for a few minutes before serving.
2013-11-12 19.13.19.jpg

Yum...I add a little Parmesan cheese to the top of my bowl.

That sure looks and sounds yummy, Darren! I'll have to try it sometime.

LOML fell in love with OGs Pasta Fajole years ago. I looked around online until I found a copycat recipe. We made it and now she won't go to OG anymore! It's easy enough to make, except for the julienne carrots!

This is my favorite soup recipe! Pretty much the same as yours. I make a big pot on a nice cold day and it lasts the two of us all week...and we don't mind eating it day after day either:)

Last edited:
It's definitely soup and stew season. Nothing quite like a big pot of something simmering on the stove....