Posting reading and browsers

Rob Keeble

Ok this is the end of the road for me. I got to get this sorted out because its consuming way to much time.

I don't post all over the web so the only place I get to see the effects of what I am experiencing are when I post on our forum.

For ages now I have been struggling with browsers and posting. Its getting tiring the way the program developers are changing things and adding in gadgets and features (yeah I know all for tracking etc and advertising) etc and it forces a whole bunch of wasted time unless you happy to just open everything up it would seem to me.

Check out this new post of mine.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums...hat-1-quot-x30-bench-belt-sander-work-for-you

Did a whole bunch of work to put all the links in to make the post more multi media and now its a mess and does not show any of my links.

Currently I use IE and Chrome. I have disabled all the add ons and have used Firefox but man I am totally burnt out with browsers and messing with them. These darn things are a tool to me I don't want to have a phd in setting up a browser and adding every little gadget and I don't want to have my every move monitored or reported such that the search and adverts I get on pages are based on what I last looked at. Its all getting darn stale. (My sincere apologies for the rant but dang I have had enough of my time being wasted. )

The only reason I am bothering now to try get some practical tips is to make this work for me for our forum.

I just spent way more time than I have allowed to be able to post two posts. But now I look at them with different browsers and I see my links are not showing and in one case the videos were not showing.

Then I change things like compatibility settings and boom all sorts starts to happen. Including my keyboard typing any old characters when it feels like. On Chrome I don't get to have carridge returns. On Ie I end up with all sorts of symbols when I simply want a question mark.

Its a real deterrent to posting when something simple takes so long to get correct and this is not my first time posting. I have also had issues with the picture management side.

I don't believe any of this has to do with the forum and its software, I believe its all related to browsers and the games being played in the browser world.

So here is my question. Can someone that does not want to have their every move tracked or expose themselves to any old virus etc embedded in pages etc, please share their browser info so I can mod mine to be able to enjoy our forum and post efficiently.

Thanks in advance for any help. I know some of our less techie citizens are struggling with this aspect as well.

I have just reached the point where I cannot spend more time on searching the myriad of misleading posts I have found on the web.

Some say its win 7 X64 some say it has keyboard program issues. Some say its browser related heck all I know is its happening and tiring.

BTW I frequently clear my cache, including everything in the way of stored data.

HELP please this old guy has reached the limit.

Looks fine here as well. Don't know if there are any missing links but the you tube videos show up fine.. Been using Chrome but thinking of changing because of recent political implications. Not that I think I can hide but don't want to be in bed with the co conspirators...

Rob, Part of the links not showing (here anyway) is the style sheet and we'd be happy to look into making changes that help make things easier.

As for compatibility issues, I try to pretty much stick with one browser. As a programmer I do try to test issues with most and avoid code/features that have compatibility issues, but doesn't mean that others do (forum software or any other website). Also with so many updates to the browsers and with all the plug-ins that end users can add, it makes it tough to keep up.

Edit: I've done some changes of making links show up as underlined and the hover color will change from black to brown to show they are a link on the woody templates. I won't make any major changes to the default vb template since we need it left alone for support reasons. Let us know if there is anything else that would help, I'll try to do what I can. :wave:

I guess I'm not following along with what the issues really are?

1) I use the little 'picture frame' icon to upload pictures. Quick and easy.
2) I use the little 'globe with a chain link' to enter links into posts.
3) I see all of your links, and the videos show as videos.

On chrome (Really, the only browser I use and find worthwhile) I can type and type and type and hit the enter key and everything works fine. I don't have hardly any extension loaded for chrome.

Can you put together a simple list of items that are issues?

I'm at a loss, as I don't seem to have the same issues.

I guess I'm not following along with what the issues really are?

1) I use the little 'picture frame' icon to upload pictures. Quick and easy.
2) I use the little 'globe with a chain link' to enter links into posts.
3) I see all of your links, and the videos show as videos.

On chrome (Really, the only browser I use and find worthwhile) I can type and type and type and hit the enter key and everything works fine. I don't have hardly any extension loaded for chrome.

Can you put together a simple list of items that are issues?

I'm at a loss, as I don't seem to have the same issues.

I can say pretty much the exact same thing. All your posts look normal to me, Rob,with links and videos aplenty. I run Chrome the vast majority of the time. I use minimal add-ons...primarily AdBlock Plus. I only run IE when absolutely necessary, and I've intentionally kept it modification-free. Have you perhaps over-tweaked something? Maybe it'd help to completely uninstall the browser and start with a clean slate? (Or at least with Chrome. I don't know if you can completely uninstall IE.)