More spalted Hackberry

Chuck Ellis

Jeff Bower posted pictures of his spalted hackberry "torpedoes" reminded me I had some hackberry recently... my pastor had a tree that fell in a storm and let me haul it away for him. This is a bowl that I got out of a piece of the tree... some spectacular spalted wood - if I do say so myself....
10-1836_5.jpg10-1836_0.jpg10-1836_3.jpg

Gonna have to lay my hands on some of that in January...how 'bout some dimensions and finish stuff Chuck?

Sorry, I intended to put that in, but by the time I found the picture had forgotten about dims... the bowl is 12" diameter and about 3" deep... finish is 5 coasts of polyurethane - the first 4 in gloss and the fifth in a satin... LOML prefers the satin look to a gloss, but I like the gloss as under coats to give the finish a little depth.

Hackberry sure spalts up nice. That's a beautiful bowl Chuck.

It's an interesting wood... this is another bowl, from the same tree, but with less spalting... this bowl is very light weight... it's 9 1/2" x 3" deep and also finished with poly gloss with overcoat of satin. 10-1837_3.jpg10-1837_0.jpg10-1837_1.jpg

These bowls are also Hackberry, but hasn't started to spalt yet... they are all about 9 1/2 dia x about 3" deep... they are all cored from bigger bowls that I'm working on for a special order.... all finished with poly. 10-1805_3.jpg10-1800_1.jpg10-1800_2.jpg10-1801_0.jpg10-1801_2.jpg10-1805_1.jpg
These are from some different logs and were still a little green plus they had laid outside and been rained on, so more water in them... the bigger bowls have held their shape, but the cores have moved a little and aren't quite as round as when I first finished them.