Posole

Don Baer

Staff member
Posole is a is a classic Mexican soup that is traditionally served at the holidays There are as many recipies out there as there are leaves on a tree. I learned to make it from some ladies from Guadulajara a region of Mexico know for the dish. I served this to the Larry, Tom, Bill, Toni and Carol when to tour stopped by in 2010 and Bill liked it so much he asked for the recipe. Here it is.

3lbs pork butt/shoulder
2 -32 oz boxes chicken broth
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic
1 small can tomato paste
1 small can ancho chilies in adobo sauce.
(note many kinds of pepper can be substituted depending on taste. I like the smokey taste of the ancho chilies)
1 tsb cumin
1 # 10 can of Hominy
Salt
Pepper

cut pork into small cubes
dice onions and crush garlic

place pork, onions, salt, pepper and cumin in a large stock pot with a little veg. oil over a medium heat. Cookuntil onions turn translucent.

Place peppers in a food processor and blend until a paste.

Add chilies, tomato paste and chicken broth and let simmer. When meat is cooked adjust seasoning. Add Hominy and let simmer for at least 30 min., add water as necessary to keep soup consistancy.

In seperate dishes prepare chopped onions, radishes slices, lime slices and chop the cilantro.
Serve soups with corn tortillas and sides they can add the side as they choose for the taste they desire.

Last edited: