A Tool Worth Having In the Shop

Paul Douglass

Several years ago I had to have back surgery. For three months I couldn't lift over 5 lbs. nor bend over. My lovely wife bought me one of these "Pik Stiks". I still use it often. Like today I used it three times to retrieve items I dropped down in my table saw. Reach down through the insert hole and pick it up. Don't have to get down on my knees and open the trap door. I don't know how many times I have retrieved items I have dropped behind my lathe or other tool with it. Great for picking up pine cones in the yard also. Great little tool! You can tell I have used it a lot, look how dirty the handle is!

IMG_1861.JPG

Last edited:
Totally a useful tool for many things. I use mine mainly for stuff up high and out of reach, and occasionally for encouraging gopher snakes to go someplace else....

I have something like that, but with a much smaller grip.

The other must-have pickup tool is one of these telescoping magnets:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=44260&cat=1,42363,42356
99w6320s2.jpg

Got the Pick Stick. Got the magnet. Also took a length of broom handle and put an eye hook in the end of it. Great for dragging stuff from the back of a shelf, or from under the bench.

Use all three of them all the time.

I got a lot of use out of the grabber stick around the house after my back surgery, too. It still comes in handy.