Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Contemplating an 8" jointer

Contemplating an 8" jointer

I have a decent older 6" delta rockwell jointer that I've been using for a few years now but I keep running into trouble when I try to join longer boards, so I was thinking it may be time to upgrade. I have been on the lookout for a decent used jointer, mainly a powermatic 60 but Im not having much luck unless I want to take a multiple day trip to get one. Then I was thinking maybe I should look at new ones. Grizzly isn't too far from me and it is getting close to Christmas, a post Christmas trip to grizzly sounds appealing. One of the reasons I was thinking I should look at new is to avoid warped, worn or drooping tables(especially site unseen on the internet), a parallelogram jointer would all but eliminate any issues now and in the future. Thoughts? I would like to stay under $1000 for new. I see some good looking models but I will wait till some others weigh in, I'm not dead set on grizzly either but from what I saw most others are in a whole nother price range.

I enjoy the long beds on the Grizzly G0490X but, if length is the problem and not width, you can save some money. Buy or build some better-quality work supports. Even really large jointers are still only so long. If you are jointing things in excess of six feet regularly, work supports will help more than a new machine. It is all about supporting your work through the entire path. Not that I'm one to talk someone out of a new tool . As to budget, I would be very hard pressed to go back to a knifed machine. There is plenty of data covering the lower cost of ownership despite the higher initial cost.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

another vote for getting a helix head style jointer if you get new..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I was looking at the 490 and 490x. I think there is only $25 difference in buying the helix head later. Seems like it may be a good to wait or get the 490 and the upgrade helix and end up with a spare standard knife head in case something would happen.

i dont see you wanting the straight knife head back in once it was out dave,, if you havnt used a helix head you wont understand till you have..

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    i dont see you wanting the straight knife head back in once it was out dave,, if you havnt used a helix head you wont understand till you have..
    I know, I think too much sometimes. I looked at grizzly's site and it would be $50 more to upgrade later, but that is to a byrd shelix head.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/Shel...8-G0490-/H8803

Does the G0490x come with a byrd head? It didn't look like it in the pics.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Jo...terhead/G0490X

I see another helix head, it didn't say what brand, but It looks like what the G0490x has in it.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Sp...r-G0490/T10126

Aren't byrd heads supposed to be the best, if so its interesting that the other helix heads are $25 more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Black View Post
    I was looking at the 490 and 490x. I think there is only $25 difference in buying the helix head later. Seems like it may be a good to wait or get the 490 and the upgrade helix and end up with a spare standard knife head in case something would happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    I agree, the move back to a knifed machine would be a tough sell to me. I see . . . a light boat-anchor or heavy door-stop in your future.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

dave i believe bryd had the idea first and others have copied it since,, as for which is better i cant say, i dont have one yet but will one day but i have used them and seen the quality of cut they give, also the noise is lower and the power consumption to make the cut is less on the motor. also changing out a insert cutter when you get a nick in one spot is better then changing the whole knife..

We'll have to see how much cash santa brings, I would like to go straight for the helix head, but as always Im on a budget. Is there any other jointers I should look at or is the G0490x the bee's knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Black View Post
    I know, I think too much sometimes. I looked at grizzly's site and it would be $50 more to upgrade later, but that is to a byrd shelix head.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/Shel...8-G0490-/H8803
    Does your $50 include everything involved; bearings, etc.? Other threads here have folks doing it without problems.

Does the G0490x come with a byrd head? It didn't look like it in the pics.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Jo...terhead/G0490X
    The G0490X is not a Byrd head, it is Grizzly's offering. The Byrd combines the helix with a shear profile. I got to try both at a gentleman's shop while I was going through the same anxiety you are; couldn't tell any difference. I also got to try a 2HP and 3HP machine; this also didn't show any practical difference in use other than what you might expect from an extra pony.

I see another helix head, it didn't say what brand, but It looks like what the G0490x has in it.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Sp...r-G0490/T10126
    I don't know if that is the head or not but, it takes the same replacement inserts so, I would say it is. Here's mine after being used several times a week since 2008:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G0490X Head.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	79482

Aren't byrd heads supposed to be the best, if so its interesting that the other helix heads are $25 more.
    Like many things, once you reach a certain level of quality, the differences become more personal than actual. The Griz head is German made, Byrd's are made here. After months of anguish I ordered the G0490X so that I had the head factory installed with a warranty. This has worked out very well but, you have to go with what you will be happy with.
    - Arthur C. Clarke