Time To Say Goodbye

Paul Douglass

The next thing I tear into in my shop do-over is my rather large planer stand. When I purchased my planer and planed the stand, I had in mind I was going to build a stripped kayak or canoe. I wanted to be able to plane longer board so I built a stand for it. Well things change, the kayak/canoe plans and books I purchased have gathered a lot of dust over the years. I have only needed the extensions twice. I will find another way to support longer board if I ever need to. Just wanted to post a picture before I dismantle it and start sawing.

IMG_1864.jpg

Paul, there's no quit in you at all. You've been busier than a one-armed paper hanger! Soon, you'll have so much "extra" room that you'll have to get some more equipment to fill your shop again. Can't have too many tools! :thumb:

When it comes to lunchbox planers, the best thing I ever did was build a flip-top stand. Its held planer and CMS, planer and various sanders, it was a real workhorse as far as squeezing quick usable space out of a small footprint.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?10754-Flip-Top-Revisited

That's a great idea I had forgotten about. Got me thinking, I will build my so I can flip it, don't have anything to put on the other side,,,, yet, but who knows what the future will bring. How hard/heavy is it to flip? The planer is a pretty heavy item.

Last edited by a moderator:
...That's a great idea I had forgotten about. Got me thinking, I will build my so I can flip it, don't have anything to put on the other side,,,, yet, but who knows what the future will bring. How hard/heavy is it to flip? The planer is a pretty heavy item.

My drum sander is on a flip stand with nothing on the other side. 99% of the time it's used as spare bench/horizontal surface. The sander it hefty...probably around 100 pounds. But it's not too difficult to set up or put away.

Well, the dummy that put the stand together must have been thinking it was going to be dropped from a plane! It had some many screw in it that it took me 4 hours to get them all out. Course the dummy also covered each screw with wood dough so they wouldn't show. Had to find them and then did the dough out to unscrew them all. Okay, got all the screws out, now a little tapping and it should just come apart.... no, oh, I remember I, er the dummy, also glued everything!!!!!!!:eek::huh::doh:

After all that I had to cut it apart. No flip top on this cabinet. Off to the store to buy a large size can of wood filler to fill all the screw holes in!

Glenn, I really like your flip-flop table & plan to build one to hold my Ridgid sander & pending DeWalt planer. I noticed in your pictures that you use a wooden dowel as the pivot pin for the table and wondered if there might be some premature wood-on-wood wear over time, yet you have used this table for years now which speaks well of its construction. Would you still use a wooden dowel versus say a 1/2"-3/4" dia. bolt with a long unthreaded shank inside a metal sleeve to serve as a dowel inside a bushing?

OK I tried to find photos. However, all I was going to show was a DeWalt 735 planer on one side and a Ridgid Belt Oscillating sander on the other side. Then I was going to say, "No problem changing from one to the other."

The "flip" was not a "flop." It worked fine...However, I was a bit nervous about it, because of my weight (114#), the first time I rotated the top.

Enjoy,
JimB

When it comes to lunchbox planers, the best thing I ever did was build a flip-top stand. Its held planer and CMS, planer and various sanders, it was a real workhorse as far as squeezing quick usable space out of a small footprint.

That is amazing! I'm going to borrow that idea, think of the room I could save.

Last edited by a moderator: