Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen island

Kitchen island

Just finished up the installation tonight. Hopefully going to be doing the kitchen project as well!
    The cabinet is maple with General Finishes waterborne urethane tinted navy blue in a satin sheen. The tops are 1-1/2" thick quartersawn white oak finished with Targets em8000 conversion varnish and tinted with TransTint dye part mission oak part dark walnut, built up over 4 coats. The first three sprayed in gloss the final with the flattening agent added to tone it down to a little duller than semi gloss but not quite satin. The drawers are dovetailed maple with the Accuride eclipse soft close undermount slides and the hardware is from Horton Brass. I used a black toe kick to create the illusion of it being off the floor. The leg was made with a compound cut on the bandsaw to give the radius in 3 dimensions.
    I used the Sommerfeld beaded face frame set up I discussed earlier. I have to say its got a bit of a learning curve and I need to make some tweeks on my end but the end result was very nice. Im quite pleased with its operation.
    The customer is thrilled! I hope to be doing his kitchen next!!

He who laughs last, thinks slowest

I've always loved the contrast between painted or tinted base and a natural top. Looks fantastic Rich

Is this the same house where you did all the other recent work ??
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Thanks Bob, no this is a different client. I may hopefully be doing the kitchen here next.

That sure looks great Rich How does that finish hold up for the countertops? I need to refinish my Jarrah countertops and am looking into something different/durable than I did for the original finish which was 3 coats tongue oil finish and 3 coats wipe on poly.

Ive had good luck with it. A few years ago I used it on a set of built ins and its still holding up very well. This counter and one I did a few months ago are the first ones I used the catalyst on though. The catalyst is supposed to harden the finish more and make it more chemical resistant.
    I love the finished look of it. It reminds me of traditional lacquer. It really lets the wood show its depth and warmth

That came out great. The dark toe kick really works. Cool colors too; in shade and appearance.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Rich wonderful work. My first thoughts were boy your customer must (better ) be happy as can be with that masterpiece.

I was thinking of a commercial line for this picture kinda like you might put on a flyer..." Try finding this at Ikea " lol that will last longer than the company itself.

I have to ask though why did you not carry the leg concept all the way round? Excuse my ignorance of these things. I really like the fake leg and the curves. Nice touch.

Hope the client appreciates it enough to have you do the whole kitchen.

Also when you say you added something to dull the finish down is that a trade secret or do you mind sharing what you do to finish to achieve that.

Stunning piece, i too like the mix of color. Thanks for posting this. Real inspiration work.
    cheers

Impressive! The color contrast works very well.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Nice. Like the floating bar on it as well as the color/contrast.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Beautifully done. Always a pleasure to see your projects, Rich.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com