Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Media Cabinet - Cherry

Media Cabinet - Cherry

I need to get started on this item while I've got a bit of in-between time going on. The design elements are still in flux but, in general this approximately 44" wide by 29" tall cabinet will look something like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Media Cab (0).jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	79467

The doors will hide the components while the drawers will hold media. The eventual plan is to have a TV on the wall over it if I ever get bored enough to buy a TV. Until then it will hold the stereo that got displaced when I added a machine to the gym.

I had just finished a piece for someone out of cherry but, didn't think I had enough left for this piece of my own. I went digging and found more than I thought I had. Still, a trip to the lumber yard was in order. I think it was on this forum that I noticed someone breaking down lumber with their jigsaw as opposed to a circ-saw. I can't spare the room for a CMS or a RAS so I used to use a circ-saw. The jigsaw is quieter, cleaner (with the vac hooked up) and easier/quicker to get out and put away, I gotta tell ya. I have been doing this ever since I saw it done years ago. thanks, whoever you were .

Name:	Media Cab (1).jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	79468 . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Media Cab (2).jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	79469

There are three large panels in this piece; the top, an adjustable shelf and a lower fixed shelf (above the drawers). Although I power joint pieces for general milling operations I have fell into the habit of hand jointing parts for panel glue-ups. Have I mentioned that I am really happy to have a BU jointer plane? There's also some gratuitous glue-up pics .

Name:	Media Cab (3).jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	79470 . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Media Cab (4).jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	79471 . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Media Cab (5).jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	79472

I found a nice set of figure that I plan to incorporate into the corner posts.

Name:	Media Cab (6).jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	79473

I picked up the stock I'll need for a lot (if not all) of the framing parts so I will be milling those up next.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-22-2013 at 01:59 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

its always a thrill to watch you put something together glenn. can always learn something from you guys. thanx for sharing.
    Human Test Dummy

I also usually break down my boards with a jigsaw. I picked that up from someone on the Canadian forum ages ago. I've just never liked using a circular saw. I find the jigsaw much easier to control, and I don't really care that it is a bit slower.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    I also usually break down my boards with a jigsaw. I picked that up from someone on the Canadian forum ages ago.
    So, it was YOU!!!

The planer sled doesn't come out very often but, it is at the ready for wider stock like this that I need squared up. I want to resaw the wide stock off the "back" for possible use as some of the panels before I rip thinner parts from whats left.

Name:	Media Cab (7).jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	79474

Of course the very next thing I will do is thickness away my chalk marks that identify my parts. The camera (usually my phone) is very handy for reminding me so I can re-mark after milling.

Name:	Media Cab (8).jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	79475
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-22-2013 at 03:47 AM.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

AND Away we go------again!

Have fun and

Enjoy,
    Dad
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Name:	And Away We Go.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	79480
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Re: Media Cabinet - Cherry

Glenn i gotta tell ya you are an inspiration to me.
    I cannot express how much i get from your posts.
    Thanks for the detail and write up of your process.

Just curious but with the great jointer you have and given you going to be cutting up those boards as your parts layout shows, is there any specific reason why you did not rough cut your components and then mill.
    I can see that getting milling out the way as one piece makes everything the same dimension but do you manage to get as accurate an edge ie 90 degree from jointing using your planner sled. ? Or is this just the first stage of your milling process?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    is there any specific reason why you did not rough cut your components and then mill.
    Thanks for the kind words Rob. That particular board is 6/4. I will be taking some stretchers and frame parts from it that will end up ~3/4" thick and 2-1/2" at the widest. The "back" that I resaw off will yield some panel parts that will be ~5/16" thick but, around 6" wide. It just so happened that the figure I wanted for the panel didn't line up with the figure I wanted for the frame parts so, I separated the "blanks" before breaking them down further.

I have been doing things like this ever since I got my first benchtop jointer and planer and realized the freedom that "making" your own boards allows. To increase this freedom I went after a larger bandsaw that allows resawing as in this specific case ;-) I do normally break down parts as you describe to minimize the effect of irregularities prior to milling. It is always a good idea to bring a group of parts to final size in one run although the DRO's I have on some machines make "go backs" less traumatic than they once were. Still it is just easier to do things in batches. For example; a bunch of door frame parts .

Shorter and narrower blanks have less wane or cup effect to remove, yes? The exception to this is when I leave a group of smaller parts together in a blank as milling parts of that size is dangerous or pushing the minimum limits of a machining process. A good example of this is profiling the edge of a larger board and then ripping off a piece of trim, profiling the new edge and ripping off the piece of trim, etc.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-22-2013 at 04:10 PM. Reason: sp
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    So, it was YOU!!!

I can't think of when I have ever posted a photo of me cutting things with a jigsaw, so it's possible, but improbable.
    (but not infinitely improbable... Ooh, time for a nice cup of tea.)
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

I always like the build threads and I'm sure this is going to be another good one….