Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Steel, A Welder Cart

More Steel, A Welder Cart

A triple stack cart.

I wanted to have all three of my machines easily at hand, but not under my bench, my MIG is there now and it gets really dirty.

This is what I came up with.

First I did a test fit....

There will be my old heavy stick welder on the bottom, my new arc plasma cutter in the middle and my MIG on top, the MIG is the tool I use the most by far. On the back will be my gas bottle, I weld with extra gas from our draught beer machines, I often get cylinders back from customers with maybe 1/8 of a tank left, the would rather change the tank out without a restaurant full of customers, so the swap them when they are low, thus I get free gas!

Then I tacked it all together....

I then checked my sizes again, just to be sure and then welded it up solid.

I can sit on the top shelf and bounce up and down and it does not flex much at all, and I'm a big boy

Poor pictures of passable welds, I'm welding with 100% CO2 if that changes anything.

The gas bottle on the back is just sitting there, I did NOT move the cart with the bottle on it, I need to make some sort of a tie down for the gas bottle.
    Now I need to make the platforms for the shelves, I'm thinking just plywood painted black maybe, and then I have to figure out some cable holders of some kind.

I'd appreciate some input on the cable holders, pics if you got them

The rack is VERY stable, I think I like it. I will be able to move the cart around in my small shop or even move it outside if needed to work.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 11-30-2013 at 10:57 AM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I use horseshoes as hooks to wrap the cables up. The higher up on your cart, the bigger the loop (less coiling).
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

The welds look a heck of a lot better than mine. Did you re purpose the steel from something else?

Bravo, man that is a neat cart. Well done Stu. Thanks for sharing that. Hope you gonna give us a review sometime of the new plasma toy. I have really been wondering how those units perform. Boy this is exciting. I am absolutely no help in the hook pic idea dept. sorry.
    cheers

Nice looking stand. I'd second adding hooks for cables and such. Though you need some diamond plate and off road wheels like mine.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11843...025?banner=pwa

Actually I've considered one for the shop like yours, it's rare that mine actually gets pulled across the yard, but has been handy the few times that I have.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    I use horseshoes as hooks to wrap the cables up. The higher up on your cart, the bigger the loop (less coiling).
    I'm thinking something more like a hose rack, something like this.....

But with a larger diameter and thinner, up high on the left side for the MIG and then something similar on the down low for the Stick Welder's cables. The Plasma Arc cutter I think I can put the cables beside the unit on the shelf it sits on, I might just make a simple box that would keep them contained, I could put them in the box and then slide the box on to the shelf beside the Plasma Arc Machine. Remember I'm trying to keep this as small as possible, when not in use I don't want to be tripping over it or having to contend with loose cables. I also have to make a fixture on the back to hold the bottle in place, and I need to wire it up. I run a 200V extension cord to the welder now, I will continue to do that but I want to have all the machines just wired into one box so I just plug the ext cord into it and all three machines will have power, but I don't want to store the ext cord on the welder cart, no need to, it can hang on the wall over by the electrical panel when not in use.
    Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 11-30-2013 at 10:58 AM.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    The welds look a heck of a lot better than mine. Did you re purpose the steel from something else?
    Thank you Ted, I'm a bit out of practice but it is returning. Welding with just CO2 is a bit hotter than the CO2/argon mix and a bit messier too. No repurposed steel, all new, but I have about $60 into the cart including the wheels, the big ones were $12 each! At least the casters up front were from an old cart that got retired at the L shop.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Bravo, man that is a neat cart. Well done Stu. Thanks for sharing that. Hope you gonna give us a review sometime of the new plasma toy. I have really been wondering how those units perform. Boy this is exciting. I am absolutely no help in the hook pic idea dept. sorry.
    Rob don't get a Plasma Arc Torch, it's a slippery slope I tell you! Man that thing is SLICK I need to practice more and I also have to get a dryer on my compressor as well as a larger compressor at some point...... next month? Hey, Christmas IS coming.....
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Nice looking stand. I'd second adding hooks for cables and such. Though you need some diamond plate and off road wheels like mine.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11843...025?banner=pwa

Actually I've considered one for the shop like yours, it's rare that mine actually gets pulled across the yard, but has been handy the few times that I have.
    For anything over rough ground yeah, that cart would be great! I'd have to go down the street to the park to find an area that is NOT covered by concrete or asphalt
    One good looking MIG that you have there, I have a Hobart Handler 175, is yours the newer 187?

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    One good looking MIG that you have there, I have a Hobart Handler 175, is yours the newer 187?
    It's actually only a Handler 135, which I think got replaced by the 140 a few years back. I'd like to have the 175 for thicker stuff, but it's done it's job.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault