Thread: Anyone Subscribe to This?

Anyone Subscribe to This?

I don't subscribe to any woodworking magazines anymore. After a few years it seemed to me they all start repeating themselves. Plus, where do you store all those magazines and how do you find the old one that had the plans you wanted? I have been wondering if something like this is as good as it sounds, probably not, but I'm curious if anyone has this collection and how good is it?

http://www.tedswoodworking.com/index...pics%252F55223
    "We the People ......"

We've evaluated this 'site' before.

The general consensus is it's not worth it. Here's a couple of links to look at that discuss this issue.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...19499-Facebook

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/anno...orking-piracy/
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Thanks, Brent,that is the kind of input I was looking for. I'll keep my money in my pocket.
    "We the People ......"

I do agree with you, it's hard to keep up on the magazines, and it's rare anymore I see something truly new.

I have a problem with being a border line hoarder, and magazines are a prime enabler of that behavior.

I've purchased a couple of disks in the past with all the back issues of a couple of magazines, and that works pretty well, except it doesn't keep up.

I could actually see me switching over to an all electronic subscription someday, but I always balk at those things now, because they seem to want to charge the same price as hard copy delivered to my door.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

I solved the storage and search issue earlier this year by purchasing the past issue archives from Wood Magazine, WoodSmith and Fine Woodworking. Yeah, there's a cost involved but it sure is convenient!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Same junk repackaged. The phrase "most guides and magazines that deal with woodworking are complete garbage" is a pretty good hint that any claims made are totally biased and self-serving.

As far as plans go, Shopnotes, Woodsmith and Wood get high marks for completeness and prompt correction in follow up issues. I particularly like the Designer's Notes and Shop Tips sections that pertain specifically to the tasks required to build the projects in the issue. Having the build article written by someone who has actually built the project helps too. I have the DVD's from Shopnotes, Woodsmith and Wood magazines. The Wood magazine DVD search function is very poor but, you can find what you're looking for if you are diligent. The other two have very well developed search engines built in and finding things as they appear in all issues is quick and thorough. Fine Woodworking magazine online gives you access to everything and then some from those folks.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Just in case someone doesn't click on the video on the page in Brent's second link, here it is...this bears repeating. Repeatedly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpC2puasRcE#t=498
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Well worth the 9 minutes to watch.

Good message, but I had motion sickness watching it.
    "We the People ......"