Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cremation Urn

Cremation Urn

Our next door neighbor's husband died at age 96 in August. They have been great neighbors for the seven and a half years we've lived here. When Mitzi started talking about a box or urn and how expensive they are, I offered to make her one. The first design I thought of was Rennie's urn with a G&G look. With his permission, I tweaked around with it a bit and came up with the following:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Urn_Cremation_00.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	79526

I won't go into great detail on the steps involved here. Rennie did a great tutorial in his thread.

One difference was my Incra router fence got the assignment for the fingers.

Name:	Urn_Cremation_04.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	79527

I used my Sketchup drawing to create a layout to follow on my fence, using the standard ruler that I slid in the top slot on the carriage. After zeroing the fence to the 1/2" straight router bit, I simply had to set the fence at the appropriate location for a cut.

Name:	Urn_Cremation_05.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	79528

Not that we plan to move in anytime soon, but I made two urns at the same time - one for the neighbor and one for my wife and me. Both are made with inside dimensions that total about 250c.i., which should be big enough for two people.

Name:	Urn_Cremation_11.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	79529

For the finish, I used Target sealer, three coats of clear gloss, and a final topcoat of semi-gloss. I did not use any dye or stain as we wanted to keep the wood natural.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Very nice. Did you do the lettering with the scroll saw?
    "We the People ......"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    Very nice. Did you do the lettering with the scroll saw?
    Yes, I did. I am NOT the greatest with a scroll saw, but I give it a go occasionally. As ornate as this Gothic M is, there were only four inside cuts to set up.
    Bill Arnold

looks good bill but for me a paper sack will do and just dump it somewhere in the woods
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Great job Bill. I like what you did with the base - I might just steal it! I'm positive they will be cherished for many years to come.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Great job Bill. I like what you did with the base - I might just steal it! I'm positive they will be cherished for many years to come.
    Thanks, Rennie! After I played with drawing the base that way, I thought, "Wow, that's going to take longer than a flat base". In my case, time didn't really matter. For production, it might be a different story. Oh, and you don't have to steal the base design! It's all yours. Thanks for letting me borrow your overall design!

By the way, I should add a couple of details. The base is four pieces glued to a rectangular panel. That panel and the top have a 1/8" deep rabbet sized to fit the internal dimensions of the box for registration purposes. I used pocket holes to hold the top in place. The bottom has a screw in each corner to attach it after the ashes are placed inside.
    Last edited by Bill Arnold; 11-24-2013 at 09:20 PM.
    Bill Arnold

Nice job!

A couple of thoughts for those who may contemplate making these. I noticed when my Mom died and her ashes were interred in the columbarium that it would be handy to know the inside dimensions of those cubicles. If there is one box with two cremains or if there are two boxes with individual cremains, they still have to fit.

That said, I am with Larry. However, in my world as pastor, just scattering ashes is getting more and more difficult to do and rules and regs vary all over the place and what we think ought not to be a problem can become a very big one dumped on already grieving people with far too little time to make a very permanent decision. Make your plans early and make sure that there will be no unseen problems. In other words, assume nothing in this area.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Re: Cremation Urn

Carol am i to infer from what you are saying that there are regulations relating to being able to sprinkle ashes in the forest?

In my Dads case he wanted his ashes sprinkled out at sea.Having been a sailor for a big part of his life. The SA Navy accommodated this wish for a fee.

I am with Larrys idea, in the woods with great trees will do me.

Great work Bill and great gesture and gift for your neighbor:thumbup:

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    cheers

rob, yes there are being more regs on how to deal with ashes its just another means for someone to get some cash.. the morticians arent getting all the deceased so they might be behind this as well.. they claim health issues but ashes are ashes they have been sterilized completely.. so if they give a family a tough time just get the card board box and do with it what they want once its in there possesion.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Re: Cremation Urn

Thats what i was thinking, who is going to catch one of my sons pouring out my ashes in the woods. lol sometimes it amazes me what we can come up with in regs all over the place.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    cheers