Metal blast gates????

Al killian

I am looking for pics and details on how to make some blast gates for my metal duct work. My duct work is is 6" snaplock. If you have some let me know how you made them and mybe a pic or two.

I am looking for pics and details on how to make some blast gates for my metal duct work. My duct work is is 6" snaplock. If you have some let me know how you made them and mybe a pic or two.

Not to steal your thread, but it ties with your thread.:dunno:

Saw long time ago where someone built one box on the ceiling had his main trunk going to the box. He had part of it made of plastic just for the fun of watching his DC work.

From the box he had three trunks going to different machines, at the box he had shut offs for each trunk.

Can not find that website again, but in my head know how to do it.:huh:

Boyd, Thanks for the link showing your design. What are them metel pieces called? I think that is what would work be for me. I will have to call down to town and see if the have anything like that.

Bob, That is not stealing. That is shareing info on different designs. If you do find the link I would like to check it out.

I believe Bob it talking about Woodsmith where they had a box with Plexiglas in the front & 3 or 4 gates.

I thought it looked great but then asked myself why I would walk across the shop to open & close a gate on a manifold set up just to see the chips flow. Ain't happenin.

This is the style gate I like with a stop at both ends. I just happened to have some black melamine scraps to make it out of this sure makes it slide easy.

This gate has a long handle & goes on my Unisaw. I made another the same way to go on the back side of the miter saw DC system the knob sticks out on the right side where I can get ahold of it.

Attachments

• blast gate 001.jpg
    blast gate 001.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 22
  • blast gate 002.jpg
    blast gate 002.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 16
  • blast gate 003.jpg
    blast gate 003.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 14
  • blast gate 004.jpg
    blast gate 004.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 14
Al, go to a heating and air conditioning shop and tell them your interested in 6" elbows, straights etc. They'll know what you want.
.... Would NOT recommend using schedule 40 pipe it's TOO heavy. Use S&D 2729 pipe (6") it's half the thickness and weight of schedule 40.
:thumb:

Boyd, Thanks for the link showing your design. What are them metel pieces called? I think that is what would work be for me. I will have to call down to town and see if the have anything like that.

Bob, That is not stealing. That is shareing info on different designs. If you do find the link I would like to check it out.

Last edited: